The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emergency Core plug
Attached is an emergency repair I carried out on the rear core plug on my Ruby, I believe I had posted this previously but could not find any trace. 
The rear core plug had sprung a leak but did not appear to have come loose, such that it would have dropped out.
We were due to go on the Eurotour and so did not have time or the inclination to remove the engine prior to the tour.
The attached pdf detailed what I did and it worked for me.
Cheers

Attached Files
.pdf   Core Plug sealing.pdf (Size: 1.14 MB / Downloads: 44)
As an aside, a new penny is the same as a farthing - so perhaps they might have been used to seal the head in the olden days?

Presumably it is not a coincidence that the large holes are 1d in size, and the smaller ones 1/4d - must be some fundamental Imperial unit? The coins were first introduced at that size when bronze was first adopted instead of copper in 1860.
Long ago, 1960 or '61, I had a rear core plug give up near my destination. It was dark and raining so it was only when I stopped that steam from the remaining coolant alerted me. I was visiting a squash player and asked him for a squash ball, which I pushed down between the block and the bulkhead. I used this without problems for a few days, and for a long time afterwards I carried a squash ball in case it was needed again.