The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine front mounting bolts
Hello, Is there a particular reason why we use the  mounting screwed into the chassis which then requires the engine to be lifted in/out over the extended stud?
Would it not be easier for engine installing and removal to use a bolt screwed down through the crankcase mounting direct into the chassis-or am I missing something here?
Many thanks 
Roger
Yes. Unscrew the bolt from the chassis and put it in a vice, then screw the nut right down to the bottom of the thread. Then you have a bolt you can locate from above.
Using a bolt instead of a stud would be easier. I think the engine mounting stud has the advantage of the integral flange (nut shaped). When the stud is tightened up in the normal way, the flange sits tight up onto the chassis and helps to provide a very firm mount. I believe this would help to ensure that there is no lateral movement due to the engine trying to move backwards and forwards. If movement occurs the the hole/thread in the chassis could be damaged.

I think this is why the engine mount with integral flange is used.

Regards Peter
I chucked those studs into the hedge a long time ago. I guess the thinking was that they provide good location for the engine, whether or not the nuts are done up, obviating little dramas like the fan touching the radiator core etc. etc. Personally I never do any of the mounting bolts up tight, as the inevitable twist of the chassis is then fed directly into the crankcase.
What are people's thoughts on just nipping up two diagonal engine bolts and, in some cases, with a strong spring beneath one of the bolts? I know that some high-mileage, very experienced owners take that approach while others, of similar expertise, bolt the whole thing down as hard as possible. As far as I'm aware, both methods do not appear to cause any sort of problem.
(14-07-2023, 10:55 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: What are people's thoughts on just nipping up two diagonal engine bolts and, in some cases, with a strong spring beneath one of the bolts? I know that some high-mileage, very experienced owners take that approach while others, of similar expertise, bolt the whole thing down as hard as possible. As far as I'm aware, both methods do not appear to cause any sort of problem.

Personally Tony I don't think it's a great idea using your crankcase to stiffen the chassis unless it was conceived to do so. It's enough trouble keeping three bearings in line without imposing an extra duty. Two-bearing owners may feel this gives them a holiday, but they still have block to crankcase joints.

On the flip side I've never done all my bolts up tight (I've gone through phases of doing one or two up fully, but the rest are just nipped up and with plenty of rubber - or as you say, springs - to permit flexing) and I have not yet discovered a problem - other than the need to check now and then that they haven't fallen out completely.
Photo of the result of bolting down solid.  Terry    
I stopped using the original front engine mount studs years ago and use 3/8" BSF bolts. I nip them down but don't whack up tight and, at the rear, use an old clutch spring under the chassis rail to the near side engine mount. This on both solid and rubber mounted crankcases. My old Trials Car did 25 or so years of trialling like this without any problems

Steve
The use of studs instead of bolts for the front engine mountings came in with the rubber mounts. With solid feet you can tighten the bolts down, with rubber mounting you can't so the studs were fitted which use castle nuts locked by split pins.
(14-07-2023, 10:55 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: What are people's thoughts on just nipping up two diagonal engine bolts and, in some cases, with a strong spring beneath one of the bolts? I know that some high-mileage, very experienced owners take that approach while others, of similar expertise, bolt the whole thing down as hard as possible. As far as I'm aware, both methods do not appear to cause any sort of problem.

I use a three bolt strategy. 
The two front ones and one rear with an old clutch spring under it. 
Seems to work ok.

Charles