The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Morris Minor backplate 101
Good evening Austin Seven friends -

Bit of basic hydraulic brake question for those in the 'know' - I'm building a special and I'm looking to install hydraulic brakes going down the tried and tested route of 7" Morris Minor components. 

I've looked at as much info as I can find online but one thing that puzzles me is that with every photo I've seen of a Morris Minor backplate with a newly welded in recessed centre (so the shoes align correctly with the Austin brake drum) the recessed centre piece looks to be pressed steel to form the recessed shape, only requiring welding where it meets the Morris back plate. 

Obviously my eyesight is questionable but could anyone shed any light on whether this is true, or is the Morris central section cut out and a band of steel used to then offset it from its original location in the backplate...

All help gratefully received.  Confused
The centre section needs to be cut from a semi Girling backplate. Two sides are cut off and straight plates welded to close the edges where the brake return springs go.

I'll try and find a better picture, but this hopefully shows what I mean.

.jpg   A7 hydraulics.jpg (Size: 49.76 KB / Downloads: 153)
Ahhh yes! Thank you - with one post you've been able to solve the puzzle!!

Brilliant ?