The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Clean air regs in France
Until now it was my understanding that historic vehicles were exempt from the Crit'Air regs in France. However, this article says otherwise. - and indeed suggests that older vehicles cannot obtain a certificate. Perhaps Reckless or others can shed light?

Not all vehicles are eligible. Cars registered before January 1997, and motorbikes and scooters registered before June 2000, are not, and cannot be driven at all where restrictions apply – causing a problem for owners of some classic motorbikes and cars.

Article
Nick, I'm ready to be corrected on any of the following points, but this is my understanding based on a fair bit of reading.

1. You are correct, an A7 doesn't (cannot) qualify for a Crit'Air sticker (there's an online application tool which simply laughs at you)

2. I suspect the list of cities affected may not be quite as extensive as suggested in the article, as many of the zones only apply to commercial vehicles. You'll have to check zone by zone. 

3. I think I'm right in saying Historic Vehicles (i.e. indicated as such on their registration docs) are exempted, and therefore should not receive a penalty...

4. ...and that the exemption is extended to visiting historic vehicles from other EU nations. EU is in bold for a reason, because we are not in it. As far as I know the rules have not been clarified nor put to the test since Brexit, so you take your chances. As long as it's enforced by policemen I expect one might get away with a bit of bluster, but camera systems are cold and unforgiving.

5. The seasonal temporary zones are exactly that and can be imposed at the drop of a hat, potentially preventing your return to the channel ports. I guess you take a chance, wait, or get your car transported home... it's bloody ridiculous.

I tried making deeper enquiries and was told by the authority that I would have to apply in writing to the town hall in each city I intended visiting...I''m afraid we are slipping back to the dark ages when each bridge will be guarded by a guy with a pike demanding a groat.

I'm heading off to the continent myself in a fortnight and for me the approach has been to plan a route avoiding population centres as far as humanly possible; but I imagine that's not much consolation if your heart is set on seeing Montmartre.

Just a reminder that the topic was previously aired here: https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/for...e#pid41781
- though doubtless things will have moved on a little in 3 years.
Ah, those brave Seven traditions. Down to the workshop early on a Saturday morning, then back for a relaxed late breakfast, reading the Grauniad. Just read that piece as well, and about to ask the the same question. Not that I have any serious plans to drive a Chummy to Monthlery next year, but just in case.

Beaten by the first reply but seconds ago. I rather wish I had not read it, further evidence of the utter stupidity of Brexit has raised my blood pressure to get close to the red line, must go back and hide in the workshop.
I’m going to the GP Retro in le Puy Notre-Dame in a couple of weeks and hope to avoid large cities and the Crit’air requirements. However, this may be a short term solution as I feel sure it will spread to the channel ports before too long.
Speaking as a resident, I wouldn't get too upset about this for the moment. The likelyhood is that the restrictions currently in place in Paris, Marseille, Strasbourg, Lyon and Rouen will be maintained, but possibly less severe than originally planned because the pollution levels are less than they thought. The rest are currently on the back burner (according to the latest press reposts)

link to Le Monde article here: https://www.lemonde.fr/planete/article/2..._3244.html

The reality is that the Police/Gendarmerie have far better things to do than check motorists for Crit'air stickers. Classic/Historic cars are exempt anyway. Don't get bogged down with small print.

They might as well try and plait fog than get the French to conform to this. I have 5 french registered vehicles and none of them have a Crit'air sticker.
Speaking as a resident as well, I heartily agree with Reckers - just get on with it and enjoy! The only car I have which is eligible does not have a Crit'air sticker because living in rural Charente I don't need one. I might get one later if I go to Epoch'Auto in Lyons, but the government appear to be backpedaling anyway. The rest are not eligible being registered as "en collection".
If you have some French it is wise to look at the FFVE web site, certainly more reliable than certain papers mentioned above - now speaking as a Telegraph reader!
Tony