The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fire Extinguishers
Hello all, 

Having finally got my chummy project on the road I'd like to properly fit a fire extinguisher. I want something that complies with current regulations and AFFF rather than powder. It looks like the most recent regulations state 2.4 litres for AFFF, but I'm a bit confused that extinguishers in this specific size seem to be quite a lot more expensive than AFFF extinguishers of other sizes. For example 3 litre AFFF seems to be around £30, but 2.4 litre around £80. Not sure if I'm missing something or looking in the wrong place?  

Next question is where people have mounted their extinguishers in their Chummys. In my box saloon it's on the transmission tunnel but I'm not sure there will be space there in the chummy. 

Any help much appreciated as always!
That’s because the powers that be choose to specify a size which isn’t commonly available. It has to be made specially, therefore expensive. Mine fits on the rear half of the transmission tunnel between the rear seat cushion and the front seats. Interestingly I went on a fire training course at work. The instructor was of the opinion that the correct thing to do when faced with a fire in your car was to run!
Alan Fairless
What type and size of extinguisher you need (if you even need one) depends on what discipline you intend to compete in. What are you looking to do?

Steve
Ideally looking to do some trialing - I think I'm unlikely to be taking the car circuit racing! I do want something that has a slight chance of putting a small fire out rather than just for keeping the scrutineer happy.

Is there any reason why you can't fit a larger extinguisher from a scrutineering perspective? A three litre one is at least half the price and presumably gives you fractionally more chance of putting out a fire, or does it specifially have to be 2.4 litres?

I've dealt with various vehicle fires over the years, and once managed to extinguish a rapidly melting Reliant Rialto with only a tiny powder extinguisher when I thought I had no chance. I'm of the view that an easily accesible battery isolator is just as essential as a fire extinguisher, and having one fitted has prevented me from having to use the extinguisher in the past.
Motorsport UK, for reasons that one can conjecture, always go for odd sizes. I’d like to see the evidence that the extra 400cc in a 2.4litre one confers an advantage over 2 litres.

And yes, you can fit a bigger one but it’s sometimes a challenge in an A7

Charles
For A7 trials I have done an extinguisher is not a requirement, (PWA7C / 750MC ones). However we have a 2L AFFF one fitted from when I did VSCC driving tests in the Chummy.

I'm guessing that the regs have changed, (again) if it's now 2.4 Litre that is required?
I can't comment on what PWA7C and 750 MC do but I do know the situation with VSCC Trials. Firstly, yes, the MSUK Blue Book does say a minimum of 2.4kg AFFF. However, because of the size of these (never mind the size of a 3 litre) and where they could be fitted in many trials cars, VSCC has discussed this with MSUK. The result is that we have some dispensation.

As quoted in the regs for the John Harris:

'All competing cars must carry a primed Fire Exinguisher throughout the event. Competitors can use either the 1.75kg or 2.4Kg AFFF foam extinguisher or 2Kg powder. These can be in two seperate bottles.'

So, if cost and/or space are considerations, two 1Kg dry powder units are acceptable. If you already have a 1.75Kg unit, as long as this is in date, you're fine.

Steve
As the events you want to attend are all regulated by MSUK the blue book which you can find online is the goto place. Some events seem to reuse old paperwork and not be up to date. As MSUK insure you for the event my view is that its polite to read their blue book and do what you can to support them. We carry in the trials car a 2kg dry powder (messy bu good if you ever need to use it) a fire blanket under the seat. I carry this for two reasons 1. I once witnessed someone who had had a petrol leak and a subsequent clothing fire been wrapped up in a fire blanket by a very wise marshal and 2. I have seen a fire blanket draped over a car with an engine fire. It was placed over the flames and kept most of the air out. Two squirts of a extinguisher from the underside into the engine bay and it was out.
I also have invested for our road cars in the new fire sticks. They seem very well regarded but not yet approved for FIA/MSUK
Some events use previous regs with just the dates and permit number changed? Shocked, I am shocked I tell you! My recently updated view of fire extinguishers for nav rallies is that if you choose to carry an extinguisher, it should comply with MSUK requirements. Quite what any of this has to do with scruting cars in pub car parks I cannot say. Most people I know have an extinguisher in anything other than a very modern car, perhaps if not as specified  by Bicester it can temporarily  sit outside the car along with the unsecured bag of cakes and  sarnies. My experience of scruting for class 0 is the fire extinguisher being peered at, the double throttle return spring poked by the scrutorial  finger, spill kit looked at  and lights checked. Regularity events under ACU regs are of course rather different.
You seem to have forgotten the pencil round the spokes / xylophone thing.