The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So THAT'S what it was!
That’ll be it then… Sad
On jacking up the car and rotating a wheel it was possible to hear a rhythmical light knock in the diff and, with fingers on the diff, to feel it.
Double Ouch!
Hi.
I have a spare brand new old stock CWP in the garage plus a complete working back axle that has been used in my Type 65 until I put the sports back axle back into the car, last used as a loan axle in a 1933 box saloon until its axle got rebuilt.
Parts in SE Cornwall send me PM if interested.
An offer that should not be refused, Nick!
That brings back memories of a trip to the outer Hebrides many years ago, we'd no sooner got off the boat than the rear axle started making itself heard. I found a garage on I think Benbecula who let me drain the axle which had a lot of scrap in it and refill it with oil they supplied, this was followed by a trip round the block before draining the axle again with very little scrap emerging and it was refilled again for a second trip round the block before being drained again. This time the oil was free of debris and the axle was filled for the final time. We completed the holiday and the trip home covering a few hundred miles with a silent rear axle. I drained the axle and found just a few specks of metal in the oil, it was some weeks before I removed the axle for inspection to find that the crown wheel had lost a bit of a tooth. For peace of mind I replaced the crown wheel pinion and bearings.
Many thanks Dickie65. PM sent.