The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
seat repair
Hi. apart from running Austin 1100s, a mini and a few Cortinas in the 80s, I have no experience with old cars. Buying my 1938 Ruby 3 weeks ago has started a new (my only ever)Hobby. My car is in great conditon, I just need to get this tear sorted before it gets any worse. Can anyone recommend a repairer? 
Many thanks, Ben

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That might be just the first of many splits as the leather loses all strength. You could enjoy dismantling the seat yourself and hand-stitching a piece of fabric behind the tear.
Simon Laxton Vintage Upholstery - though he's some considerable distance from you, I'm sure the seat base could be easily couriered to / from his Ashington, Northumberland premises:

https://www.7trimming.co.uk
I used a water based product to resurface the front seats and worn areas of the door cards in my RP. I first used it on the leather upholstery in the boat that was our then home. It transformed both. It consolidated the cracked areas that have lost their surface and improved the look of things no end. Unfortunately I am in Montenegro currently and cannot remember the name of the product or provide photos. I will have a look when I return home and post the details.
Thank you all for the advise. I'll try and get photos and contact the upholsterer. I'd also been keen to explore the other methods, my wife knows a good seamstress so the fabric idea could be a possibility. Being new to this I bought some Whitworth spanners but I'll pass on the sewing kit.  Smile
You may also need an Imperial hammer and screwdriver as well as an Anglo-Saxon swear box.
(01-07-2023, 05:10 PM)ben10 Wrote:  I bought some Whitworth spanners but I'll pass on the sewing kit.  Smile

After stripping the sewing machine and getting it to work properly I find sewing is very enjoyable. You can do it indoors in freezing weather and you don't get dirty, so it's practical to do sewing for just half an hour. Try it!
The leather has dried out and gone brittle.   There is little strength left in it.

Replacement covers are needed, but to help it along in the meantime, a saddler I know said " feed the leather, to restore some suppleness".

When asked what with, he said "any vegetable oil".

I have turned brittle, cardboard - like seat covers into soft material by repeated doses of olive oil.

It won't make them stronger as such, but much less liable to tear.
There is a excellent product called Flexalan for restoring and maintaining leather.I use it for our horse tack.
Simon Laxton is very good but so is David Nightingale, and he's a lot closer to you!

www.coachtrimming.co.uk