The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pinions and spring wrappings
I am assembling some of my excess spare parts to bring to Beaulieu next week end. I have an assortment of rear axles in bits, ranging from three piece RN type to two piece RP/Ruby . All the axles have been stripped for their half shafts[before I got them] and the pinions are all mixed up. Can the experts on this forum  point me to a definitive description of the varying pinion variants from late 1931 to 1935 for Austin 7s, please?
Secondly, I need a wrapping/cover for the springs on an RP saloon. I have previously used a very "sticky" water proof cloth recommended by Forum members, but cannot remember what it is called.
As always your help will be very much appreciated.
John
The best description of pinions is probably in the Jack French article around special building. It can be found in the Special Builders Guide and I think the Companion.
Essentially there are three design types for the post screw-in torque tube type axle. One with a RH retaining nut, one with a LH nut and the last type with a 1 1/8” step before the pinion which used a roller bearing to support the pinion. Ratios were 4.9, 5.25 and 5.125, although the ratios didn’t change precisely with the design features above.  I suppose you could have a loose Nippy/van pinion of 5.625 but it’s unlikely since they break very easily.
The spring wrapping is called Denso tape but some love it and some believe that it’s the source of spring degradation and corrosion
(24-06-2023, 05:47 AM)Charles P Wrote: The best description of pinions is probably in the Jack French article around special building. It can be found in the Special Builders Guide and I think the Companion.

From memory I think it's p165 of The 750 Companion
(24-06-2023, 09:17 AM)Chris KC Wrote:
(24-06-2023, 05:47 AM)Charles P Wrote: The best description of pinions is probably in the Jack French article around special building. It can be found in the Special Builders Guide and I think the Companion.

From memory I think it's p165 of The 750 Companion

That is impressive detail. 
You’ll overheat in your anorak on a day like this.

Smile
Once again, many thanks for the prompt replies. I haven't opened my 750 companion for years! 
So that's this morning accounted for.
John
I wrapped my Cup's rear springs in Denso tape. Horrible sticky slimy stuff which sticks to your hair when you're under the car and is a so & so to get off your fingers - should be brilliant I thought. I had to strip ot off again a few years later to reset the springs and was dismayed to find rusty springs underneath it. Never again - avoid it!
I ttok the Denso tape off the front spring about a year ago. It looks a mess and the spring can't be inspected. After rain rust still comes out from between the leaves.
Jim
My handbook suggests lubricating the road springs occasionally with a mixture of white lead and tallow in equal parts. I paint mine with old engine oil every service. We do the Landrover springs as well. It keeps them supple and rust free.
We always recommend that springs are left completely dry, unless you are covering them with gaiters.

If you lubricate the spring leaves, and do not cover them, road dust sticks to the leaves and acts as a grinding paste. Wear ensues and dramatically reduces the useful life of the spring.
"If you lubricate the spring leaves, and do not cover them, road dust sticks to the leaves and acts as a grinding paste. Wear ensues and dramatically reduces the useful life of the spring."
Sound advice, I totally agree!