The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin Electric Arrow
I am surprised that this venture has not been discussed here yet, or maybe it has and I missed it. 

https://www.austinmotorcompany.com/
Black Art Enthusiast
They were on display at last year's Beaulieu rally and the Centenary event. They also had a yellow Ruby at Beaulieu which had been carefully converted (so that it could be put back again if wanted) which was great fun to drive - the acceleration was amazing!

I think they have been mentioned on the forum before.
Although I wasn't expecting to be interested in converting my Seven to an EV, the more I read about possible future restrictions, the more it seems sensible to at least look at the feasibility (and costs) of conversion - in case it becomes the only option around here (Warrington)! (I hope not.)

Looks like about 10kW would be plenty for the motor? In terms of range - perhaps 100 miles would be a good starting point at which to aim? Looking on-line, there is a Citroen Ami light-car being produced in France that takes a 48 volt 5.5KWHr battery costing about £500 - which might give a range of about 50 miles? - so perhaps two would be better? Not sure how much these weigh, or what dimensions they are, but a 10KW motor doesn't weigh much, or take up much space. So, maybe a suitable frame could be installed in the engine bay to carry the batteries where the engine usually sits, with the motor mounted where the clutch and gear box is now?
(16-07-2023, 09:13 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Although I wasn't expecting to be interested in converting my Seven to an EV, the more I read about possible future restrictions, the more it seems sensible to at least look at the feasibility (and costs) of conversion - in case it becomes the only option around here (Warrington)!  (I hope not.) 

Looks like about 10kW would be plenty for the motor?  In terms of range - perhaps 100 miles would be a good starting point at which to aim?  Looking on-line, there is a Citroen Ami light-car being produced in France that takes a 48 volt 5.5KWHr battery costing about £500 - which might give a range of about 50 miles? - so perhaps two would be better?  Not sure how much these weigh, or what dimensions they are, but a 10KW motor doesn't weigh much, or take up much space.  So, maybe a suitable frame could be installed in the engine bay to carry the batteries where the engine usually sits, with the motor mounted where the clutch and gear box is now?

Colin, I'm struggling to understand what the point would be... An A7 which can only do 50 miles and whines like a milk float would merely serve to remind us of what we will have lost.
Yes - I am wondering about this too. Not sure. This is a 'thought experiment' at the moment to consider the thing technically.

If the alternative is that the Seven stays in the garage - or I have to pay £7 every time I take it out because of some ULEZ charge other other - then a non-invasive electric conversion might at least allow the car to still be used freely as a car? And it could be converted back easily enough once the rules become more sensible again? - as they probably would, once the current pressures died away (once most vehicles are electric, vehicle pollution in towns and COs production will cease to be an issue). Historic vehicles might then be allowed to move around more freely again. (Though hopefully they will be exempt from the beginning in the various schemes that are springing up around the UK - though this doesn't seem to be the case in Europe?)

Meanwhile, in terms of the point, and trying to be positive - Some elements of the driving experience would be similar and it would look the same on the road - age, shape etc. It would handle the same(ish) and look the same inside. The rest of car would still have to be maintained - wheels, brakes, bodywork etc. It would work for local journeys, which it is how I tend to use it now.
(16-07-2023, 10:47 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: If the alternative is that the Seven stays in the garage - or I have to pay £7 every time I take it out because of some ULEZ charge other other 

Luckily you don't have to pay anything, let alone the cost of making a poor conversion to electric power.
Try your registration in here:
https://multiple-vehiclecheck-pay.drive-...like_to_do
and 
https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/check-your-vehicle/

Charles
That's interesting - okay for now  - but will need to keep checking...

.jpg   Clean Air Zone Charges Check.jpg (Size: 211.96 KB / Downloads: 281)

Charles/Colin, that's interesting. I just tried several of my cars. The Sevens are all ULEZ 'compliant'. So is the 1960 MGA. But the 1975 MGB is not.
Nick: I think its simply the 40 year rule, any non- commercial vehicle over 40 years is OK, so, give it another couple and your 1975 MGB will be clear.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Andy - Hate to say it but 1975 is coming up for 50 years!!!. Seems like yesterday...

I am not at all sure why the B is not classed as compliant.