The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering wedges on Ulster reps
Good evening chaps

A question regarding my Ulster build,

How important is it the brake pedal hole on the wedge aligns with the original hole on the swb chassis and if not what are the problems I’ll experience?

Many thanks in advance 

Matt

My short chassis car's steering box sits on a wedge, the brake pivot doesn't go through the original hole.

I didn't like the "unsupportedness" of the set up, so welded a steel strip to drop down below the wedge, bolted to the chassis through the brake pivot hole.

Been ok for 50 years.
Thank you Simon, 
That's also clearly a problem how unsupported such a critical part is... I was thinking more on the alignment, I have to have a fiddle further but was thinking to keep the brake pedal attached to the chassis rather than the steering box eliminating the need for a false floor panel but also then not putting additional force on the steering wedge.. I'll need to look further to what others are doing.

The car was originally a 50's special with a welded steel wedge, sturdy enough however the wedge was fitted further back requiring a custom drag link... 

cheers
Matt

Attached Files
.jpg   steering box.jpg (Size: 82.29 KB / Downloads: 275)
Hi Matt

It depends how much rake you need on the column, but on my special I ground down the heel of the box casting and inserted a small wedge at the toe. It got a good few degrees without altering the position of the pedal pin.

The best option is one of David Cochrane’s pukka steering boxes. BM24r on the A7 Components web site.

Cheers

Howard

Hi Matt

Just found a photo 

Howard
.jpeg   IMG_0898.jpeg (Size: 78.1 KB / Downloads: 270)
(27-06-2023, 08:46 AM)goodwoodweirdo Wrote: Thank you Simon, 
That's also clearly a problem how unsupported such a critical part is... I was thinking more on the alignment, I have to have a fiddle further but was thinking to keep the brake pedal attached to the chassis rather than the steering box eliminating the need for a false floor panel but also then not putting additional force on the steering wedge.. I'll need to look further to what others are doing.

The car was originally a 50's special with a welded steel wedge, sturdy enough however the wedge was fitted further back requiring a custom drag link... 

cheers
Matt

Matt... It may be worth fitting the drag link at this point to check clearances. The raised position of the steering box on a wedge meant mine looks likely to foul the flange on the edge of the chassis on full left lock and needs a rethink. I have yet to go back to it.
Hi Matt

Nick’s point is also pertinent as the steering wedge pulls the fulcrum of the arm back.  This shortens the active length of the drag link and could cause it to go over centre on hard lock… Result of which is the wheels won’t go where you think they should!.  You may need to make up a longer link, tip…..use CDS tube not seam welded it’s stronger!

Cheers

Howard
Also check that the steering box arm does not go over on full lock. If it does you should lengthen the drag link a little.
Many thanks for the feedback, I’ll certainly trial fit it and I hope to reduce the wedge but that’s all down to finding a steering bracket this Sunday at Beaulieu ?
My drag link doesn't go over centre, or foul the chassis, despite fitting a little extra wedge to give more angle.

Most of the support to the column is in the attachment at the top, not the bottom.

It is a special, so the floor panel is made to suit.

Cheers

Simon