The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battery box lid.
It would seem that in 1934 Austin fixed this piece of plywood to the underside of the battery box lid on my Ruby. It was still there when I bought the car in 1984, but I removed it in about 2017 when preparing the bare bodyshell for painting.

What is it for?

Should I repair it or fit a new piece?

And if I fit new, then what should I do with these bits from the pre-war years? It seems wrong to throw them away, but maybe silly to cherish them.

I think it provides an insulating layer to stop anything battery related touching the inside of the metal lid and causing a short. It still does this on my car when I attach a battery charger or jump leads and the lid falls down.
Hi

Apart from the short-circuit safety aspect (and I wonder what percentage of A7 batteries still have a working fixing clamp ?) I guess it fits in with the ethos of thin metal reinforced with wood that is used throughout the bodywork.

I have a box of worn out trim bits which I keep just in case some future owner says "If only you had kept the XYZ". No doubt it will be dumped eventually Smile
Funny what we hang on to. I still have a door card from a '29 fabric saloon I restored many years ago, kept mainly because it is signed by the person who originally fabricated it together with the date.
Who was it that signed the trim panels?

This is YD 2184, 1931 RM, rear seat

This is OY 8166, 1934 RP, rear seat

The area above the battery compartment in my motorhome shows much more corrosion than elsewhere underneath the vehicle.
I put this down to gassing from an overcharged battery. Perhaps the timber lined lid is another nod to this potential.
Looking at those marks on Henry's RM I would guess they are from a quality inspection rather than an upholsterer signing-off his work.
(20-06-2023, 03:30 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: ... I wonder what percentage of A7 batteries still have a working fixing clamp ? ...

New ones are available (BW984 here: www.a7c.co.uk/spares.php#electrical).