The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tallow
I am just about to overhaul the shock absorbers on the Chummy that I suspect have not been touched since the car was restored 40 years ago, and are probably too tight, anyway. I know the beech discs should be soaked in liquid tallow and I think I could get some locally. However, I do have to hand some coconut oil that I would imagine has the same sort of qualities. 

Any thoughts on the use of Coconut oil instead of tallow from the combined mind?

Hugh
I would just give them a thin smear of grease.
If you do want tallow then it is used as a flux in leaded glass making and can be bought in candle type form.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I believe Tallow is rendered beef fat or dripping as my mother called it, iand beef dripping was available at my local supermarket.
Treat yourself to a tin of Duck Confit. Drain off the fat and put it in the fridge. Enjoy the Duck, then use the fat on your discs. It's also excellent for cooking your roast potatoes.
(15-06-2023, 09:28 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Treat yourself to a tin of Duck Confit. Drain off the fat and put it in the fridge. Enjoy the Duck, then use the fat on your discs. It's also excellent for cooking your roast potatoes.

A brilliant solution. Potatoes roasted in duck fat - nothing better.

I've fitted on my 1930 car the "plastic" damper discs supplied by https://www.suspensionsupplies.co.uk/dampers They do appear to be "stiction-free" though, to be honest, I can't tell any difference between those and just-rebuilt standard units on my '29 which had started to groan horribly. The standard type of course run against brass discs, but the "plastic" don't need these and run metal-to-metal. As the bare metal will eventually rust, will performance degrade (or even improve) when this happens? As yet, nobody has an answer and probably never will until several years have passed.
I have a small tin of tallow I use for lubricating taps and dies - acquired for a modest price from eBay.
Well....

So whilst mulling on the Coconut oil option (which I still think would be viable) or I have a tin of duck fat available as well having just had some duck confir for dinner (bought in France - too pricey over here!) I decided to start on the overhaul. The first thing was to disconnect the ends of the rear arms from the spring pins. At this point, on both sides, the arms gently dropped to the ground under their own weight!

Eh?!?

So, far from them being overtightened, as I suspected as it bounced around all over the road, it was quite the reverse - and bounced around all over the road!

The movement of the arms felt quite smooth so I decided not to disturb the business end. The rears I set to 12ftlbs on a spring balance, the front (which was in exactly the same condition) I set to a nominal 10. That's what the Cabriolet s set to, anyway, and is well behaved. After I have cooled down, I shall take it out for a spin and see what has changed. Surely, something will have!
Problem is Hugh if you use beef dripping, mutton fat or confit of duck you will have all the dogs in the neighborhood running after you next time you’re out for a spin.

Charles
Lol...