The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stuart Rolt
This week I've heard the very sad news that Stuart Rolt has died.
Personally I'm not in touch with his family, so if anyone is able to furnish more details or knows something about the funeral arrangements I (and other friends) would be pleased to hear from you.

I'm scarcely qualified to write an obituary; all I can say is that I first met Stuart in the early 1980's, when he built the pressure-fed engine which is still in my Nippy. In more recent years I spent many an hour perched on a stool in his workshop debating technical issues or simply enjoying a morsel from Stuart's vast pantry of anecdotes.

Stuart had a wealth of knowledge and a lively mind. Where others might say "oh, don't do that" Stuart would throw in an alternative idea, and another, and another, always contributing something positive to a discussion and leaving you something to think about. A visit was often followed by a 'phone call a few hours later, as he'd been chewing over ideas while I was driving home. A gentle and intelligent man, and a dear friend.

I endorse everything that Chris has said. I had planned to visit him this month. I shall miss him but am grateful for the times we spent together.
Stuart was extremely helpful when Andy Hastings and Walt Wheaton were building my pressure fed Reliant crank blown engine.  I spent a fascinating morning in his workshop when he tested the finished engine on his dyno.  He also supplied a fuel injected VW Variant engine for my old VW camper, I could have done with his advice on stopping the thing!
A lovely unassuming man with a wealth of knowledge who will be missed greatly.
The funeral arrangement's are not known yet but I might hear by the end of the week, I will post it on here when I know.
He has left a huge hole in my life.
He was a brilliantly knowlegeable character.
I talked to a long term friend of Stuarts the other day and we both remembered his tree legged cat called Amelia......that was many years ago.
(12-06-2023, 12:46 PM)ppearson Wrote: The funeral arrangement's are not known yet but I might hear by the end of the week, I will post it on here when I know.

That would really be appreciated Peter - if the funeral's not a private affair I'd very much like to come along & pay my respects.
A wonderful engineer and sad loss .
The last time I saw him was at Harewood a few years ago , together with Phoebe ,
and we talked about old times , especially the 1 lItre F3 MAE screamers that he used to build for
my closest friend Keith Norman's Brabhams.
Stuart left his mark with the Rolt Ulster - never to be repeated.
Geoff.,
I’ve never met anyone quite like Stuart. His engineering skill was nothing other than genius. I’d like to say I remember his birthday party in his race bus in the paddock at Aintree, but truth is I don’t remember much so it must have been a good one. Happy days. RIP and thanks for everything.
Alan Fairless
Yes, a great engineer and Austin Seven man. His long time friend Martin Eyre, who designed the inch and 1/2 pressure fed  “Aero’’ crank and rods which I have in my special ( no.3 ), suggested Stuart for assembly. 
When I went to collect the engine Stuart proudly informed me that he’d used gold plated big end bolts as used in the space industry! — this was sometime around 1987. I also remember him talking passionately about chassis flexing and the importance of isolating the crankcase by flexible mounting. He was an innovator as well as a great engineer.
I’m glad I had that contact with him, however limited it was.

Charles. PS.  I shall be at Prescott in a few weeks time and look forward to meeting up with other Austin Seveners.
Sorry to hear about Stuart, He built the body for my Ulster rep. A brilliant Engineer.
Ken Morton, Vancouver Canada.
Yesterday I spoke to Stuarts family in the UK and to his family in France. Right now there is nothing to report but both sides of his family will contact me as soon as details are firmed up so that I can spread the word.

What a great loss to us all.