The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Translation of foreign car publications
I was reading some German-language machine tool publications the other evening using Google Translate. This has the disadvantage of taking only a few paragraphs, so I gave ChatGPT a go. To test it, I found a site with the text in German and English and had ChatGPT translate the German entry into English. I then compared it to the article's English version and, what a surprise; not only was the translation accurate, it tightened up the text, improved the punctuation and added paragraphs where non had existed before (but, as I don't speak German, might it be that some "nuance" in the originals is missing?). Next job, try it with the BMW page on the Dixi. Here's the result - so it should work well with anything you're curious about in a foreign-language car magazine, etc. American spelling, of course - but, hey, you can't have everything.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's of interest Tony - thanks. There certainly seems to have been a step improvement in the capability of translation tools in recent years. A particular bugbear of mine is auto-translated subtitles on films which invariably leave quite a bit to be desired - I'll give this a try. 
Oh yes, and you are right to be cautious - these things can be great for conveying the general sense of a piece, but don't ever rely on them for details of importance.
Although I have worked with Chatgpt, I entirely rely on DeepL. The translations provide options (thesaurus) for most of the words and phrases and therefore even nuances can be part of the translation that very often got lost when I used Google translations.
Regards
Frank
On the subject of translation, I rather like the Facebook version of this...

https://m.facebook.com/groups/oldbritish...511912859/

You could forgive the overhead cam bit but helicopter springs?