The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Donation of Box saloon blind
I recently cleared a garage and store out of it A7 contents. I met the owner 60 years ago and he was full of ideas and enthusiasms but never joined a club or used the car. He did however collect parts from around the countryside. A consequence of this is that when we opened the garage all that could be seen of the Seven was the radiator surround. It took some days to dig out the Austin and the parts and included in the cache are a couple of items someone,somewhere might like. I have all the fittings for a Box saloon or Ruby rear blind,consisting the pull bobbles and some original cord, the little steel brackets that secure the roller, the white Ivory (plastic I think) guides and rollers and the trim screws. All that is missing is the roller and the blind. There is also a very nice sliding roof clamp and fitting for locking the roof in position. There should be two I think but if you are restoring. Box or Ruby you may find them of use. Please get in touch.
If it's the roller type then you probably can't help but if amongst the bits are the four corner studs that hold the vertical strings on the Ruby type I would be very interested. I think they should be octagonal ivory but I'm not sure (not like the ones in my photo). Even one as a pattern, or photos and measurements would be helpful.

I'd be interested in those Les - p.m. sent.
Hello,
Before the parts are given to an Austin Seven enthusiast, would it be possible to take precise photos and measurements of the parts, so that reproductions are possible or at least details of these parts will become part of the A7 archive.
Could you take some pictures of the parts from all sides and take measures?
Thanks
Frank
Dear Frank
Can you send me your email contact details please? I have many thoughts and information to share with you. Mine is lesgammon@hotmail.com.
0044 76506600

Dear Peter
Thank you for your reply. I am fairly sure that these blind parts came from an RP saloon because it is a roller blind.
Les
This thread has reminded me that I had in the roof, what I always understood to be the original blind (unfitted at the time) for my Box Saloon when I acquired it in 1970.. The car was much unmolested at the time, so I have some confidence in its original nature..

That looks like an example of the pins I was asking about Hugh. Very helpful, though I'm puzzled as to where they would be used on a roller blind.
As I understand it, they are tacked into the 'seam' at the base of the headlining and offer simple support to the operating cord...

What I am not quite sure about and cannot deduce is the operating 'direction' of the blind. It would seem sensible that the pom pom would be at the bottom. with the blind unrolling under its own weight when the cord is released. But how would it roll up again? I'm being a bit dense here, I know..

Does it actualy work the other way?
I have just bought an highly original 1933 RP and the original headlining totally intact with no tears or sagging and the blind is still there and in full working order, the only thing missing from this kit of parts are seven small screw in eyelets guiding the pull cord .I am incapable of down loading pictures of the system but its very easy to work out. the four tacks with the bakerlite ! tops are for the two guide strings and are knocked in for about two thirds of their shaft allowing the guide strings to stand slightly proud of the headlining Regards to all Rob.
Rob, if you care to send me the photos, I can post them on your behalf. I think they would be very helpful, what might be obvious to some may not be to others...

I'll send you a PM with my email details...