The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1936 Rosengart v Ruby
I had a ride (not a drive) in a Bantam Roadster some years ago. It was quite different from a Seven - much softer suspension and much better damping, it also seemed to go quite well considering how much bigger it felt.

Whilst on holiday in Spain we found a Rosengart hatchback in a architectural salvage yard (like the blue saloon but with a drop-down boot and flip-up window) It felt a lot roomier to sit in than a Ruby, more like a Morris 8E.

.jpg   Rosengart 1.jpg (Size: 220.13 KB / Downloads: 170)

Sorry about the quality, scanner is misbehaving.
The Ruby sold well in the mid to late 30s - would it have sold better if it had better suspension and was a bit roomier? But would it have cost more?

To me, such changes would have resulted in a significant loss of character - but that is just my perspective now.
(10-06-2023, 07:47 PM)Colin Morgan Wrote: The Ruby sold well in the mid to late 30s - would it have sold better if it had better suspension and was a bit roomier?  But would it have cost more? 

To me, such changes would have resulted in a significant loss of character - but that is just my perspective now.

How did the big seven compare for suspension, and roominess? And sales?

Driving my Ruby now, I find the suspension is poor. It's very bumpy over some repaired roads. Roominess is not an issue. The main problem is lack of power making the Ruby very slow up hills.
The following was written by Norman Milne and is taken from 'An Austin Anthology II' by James Stringer p93 talking about a 1959 test of a surviving 1909 single-cylinder Austin 7:

"Its hill climbing ability was marginal, it wouldn't look at Rose Hill (1 in 8 maximum gradient), which the 1922/3 Seven could mang at 15mph minimum, the later box 1930s even could ascend at 20 mph and the later Rubies at 25 mph in 3rd gear."

I don't think my Ruby would achieve this today - the current engine is fairly tired - but this perhaps suggests that a newly built Ruby could climb hills reasonably well back in the 30s? (And there are some Rubies around these days with well-rebuilt engines that can reach 60mph easily enough - so could probably do 30 up Rose Hill? Given the limitations of the chassis, 60mph is more than plenty?)

I agree that the Ruby suspension can misbehave, but in general it is much smoother than a rubber-coned Mini?

Roominess is an issue sometimes - it can be tight in the front giving a lift to someone you do not know!

"
I can only imagine that it would be almost impossible to imagine how an Austin 7 drove when new. I suspect none of us get anywhere near the experience. The late Ray Walker, Austin 7 guru of Cambridge, once told me that he was sent to Longbridge to collect a brand new 3 bearing Ruby and said it was a wonderful car to drive and ran like a sewing machine
Just for your interest, this is a 6 cylinder Rosengart which I followed round several years ago on an old car do. I don't know whether the owner was being over-sympathetic with it but my RP was crawling all over it on the road.

[Image: 20180521-103906.jpg]

[Image: 20180521-112603.jpg]

You can see my RP in the distance. Compared to all the stuff present, it was tiny!
Having driven a few Sevens, some had faired better than others and this was apparent from the driving experience.  If a car was properly restored by someone with all the relevant skills - and as a labour of love rather than counting the cost - it might be possible to get it close to original?  This would involve paying attention to the drivetrain, suspension, brakes and steering to return as much as possible back to how it left the factory.  

Some bits of my car are good - the synchro gearbox and axle are quiet, easy and smooth - but I am not sure that the front spring is the right weight, the rears are set a bit high, and there is a bit of play in the steering box.  However, other Rubies have driven have felt very similar on the road.  I have never driven a very well restored or original low-mileage car to compare.  It is not often that there is the chance - unless you are own one.  My current car would need a vast amount of work in every department (except the axle and gearbox) to return it to approaching 'factory' condition - attention that it is not likely to receive (from me).

Given Bert Hadley was willing to drive a Ruby at up to 80mph along normal 30s roads to Scotland, his Ruby must have been different from mine - even taking account of his exceptional racing skills.