The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Clutch Drag
(08-06-2023, 11:34 AM)Ncoates Wrote: Charles,

I shimmed out using some circa 16-14 swg ali sheet. I think if it was just binding that would be sufficient.. I've decided to bite the bullet and take the engine and box out to investigate it further. At least I can see what's going on on the bench, rather than grovelling under the scuttle!

Nick

Please report back.
I've had a similar problem when using a machined down a 4 speed flywheel with a 3 speed clutch cover. The flywheels have more differences than just where the teeth are!

Charles
So what have you found? There are a few followers of this thread waiting with bated breath.
This thread has come at an opportune moment for me. After 63 years of fettling A7s there are still things to learn. Having just fitted a later gearbox in my Chummy, requiring a driven plate with master spline unlike the previous gearbox, I have the situation where the clutch is still giving drive to the gearbox despite plenty of pedal travel. It seems obvious that the apparently standard master splined driven plate I have used has a longer male portion than is suitable for the female in the gearbox input. Back to the workshop again after a restful coffee!
Apologies for not getting back to you all - it took a while to remedy and then to re-install the engine, and test it. The clutch arms on my clutch are adjusted with pads under the clutch pivot point. I removed the old ones which I now realise were too thin, and then made up new, thicker pads (approximately 1/8" thick). These have provided greater dis-engagement and this seems to have solved the problem... I should have checked these first time round. I machined the pads from EN16T bar into a top hat section, with a 3/16 diameter spigot, which locates in holes drilled in the pressure plate in the slots. The 'cheeks' of the pads are then cut off to locate the pad snuggly in the lever slots in the pressure plate. Each pad can then be adjusted by machining in the lathe using the spigot to hold them until the correct lever position is obtained. I then used retaining compound to hold them in to the slots - probably unnecessary but belt and braces..

Attached Files
.jpg   Fly 1.jpg (Size: 104.99 KB / Downloads: 71)
.jpg   Fly 2.jpg (Size: 84.47 KB / Downloads: 71)
.jpg   Fly 3.jpg (Size: 91.04 KB / Downloads: 72)
.jpg   Fly 4.jpg (Size: 92.24 KB / Downloads: 72)
Proper job, as they say in Penzance. Myford lathe n'est-ce pas?