The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phoenix Longshot
Does anyone have an 1 1/8" Phoenix surplus to requirments please? I know David C lists them, but I cant really justify the current list price. If anyone has one previously purchased for a project that is no longer going ahead, I would be interested...

Contact me by PM...

cheers..

Hugh
If you are looking for a more robust crank at a reasonable price, get a sound second hand 1 5/16 crank and look for a pre 1931 flywheel and rear bearing housing. I have done this on 3 mag engines and the only mod is to file a little clearance on the centre cam bearing housing.
That would be an answer, Ken, and one I have considered. But I'm looking to 'refresh' a running engine in the simplest way. By simplest, I mean less 'invasive'...

I'm in no real rush so will keep looking for a while yet...
It's possible I'm missing something important Hugh, but is a 1 1/8" Phoenix not simply a 1 5/16" Phoenix with smaller journals?

If a worn /used 1 5/16" shaft were to show up at a bargain price, I wonder if it might not be ground to suit your rods, albeit with a bit of cursing from the machine shop. (Though I must say for my money I'd sort out some 1 5/16" rods instead!)
I see your drift, Chris, but don't we have to take into account depth of nitriding? (way out of my technical depth here..)
It's more than just a regrind, and probably only worth considering if one shows up at a very attractive price to offset the necessary work. Perhaps expands your options though. There's quite a decent recon shop at Elstow who could probably manage the work.
It’s possible, but if you tot up the costs of machining, regrinding and heat treating/hardening you would surely be well on the way to a new crank. Also worth considering that a Phoenix crank ( other types are available ) is a lot less than the probable cost of rectifying a broken original.
Alan Fairless