The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Front suspension
Hello Gents
My link pins and bushes need replacing.
Advice please how to release the spring pressure ?
Regards 
             Tim
If I recall I just jacked up the front, supported the chassis on stands, removed wheels, jacked up the front axel to relieve the weight on the spring until it was approx the shape of an 'unstressed' spring (which wasn't by much, an inch or so) then undid the retaining nuts and knocked the shackle pins through. You can also adjust the jacking as you feel as the shackle halves come out whether or not it is under tension or just sliding out to avoid it 'twanging' as one side is released.
But I would wait for someone who has done it more recently and more often as it was 10 years ago now and I might have forgotten something.
On re-assembly do ream through the new bushes for a good fit.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Many thanks Andy.
I did just as you say but jacking the axel did not relieve the spring pressure.
I did not dismantle the shock absorber and think this may be the problem?
When I knocked the pins through the spring twanged down on the axel!
Tim
Tim,
I think you need to take the weight off the spring by jacking up under the chassis; as jacking under the axle will not reduce the spring tension.
Alan
Tiger: the shock absorber/damper isn't under any tension, it is just adding general resistance to any bouncing. You can remove that without any jacking etc. Unless perhaps it has been locked tight/siezed for some reason and is stopping the spring from resting, but that sounds unlikely. You can see easily by loosening the central adjusting nut, which you will need to reset for the new spring in ant case.

As Alan says, are you sure you fully did the 'supported the chassis on stands' part of my reply?

If you did have both ends of the spring independently supported, being in effect the chassis and the axel, then by moving the axel up it should be possible to get to a point where the spring is in its natural resting state under no to minimum tension.

if not then definitely time for someone more experienced than me to help out.

Andy
Thanks again Andy.
Schoolboy error jack under wrong place all good now.
Next problem spring eye much bigger than standard approx 16 mm hole size ??
Tim
Photos at this stage might help to fully understand exactly what you have re relationship between spring 'loop/hole', bush and link.
When I replaced my spring one of the spring loops was quite badly worn/ distorted. That, and sagging, was the reason for replacement. Based on your original note that the bushes and links needed replacing I am assuming you have an issue of some sort there?
Andy
The spring loop is in A1 condition.
I have extracted the loop bush outer edge unmarked.
It’s just bigger than standard approx. 16mm Dia.
Both sides are the same.
Having spoken to Jamie at the 7 workshop never seen before.
Hey Ho Special bush needed.
Not much to see from photo looks the same as standard.
Can post picture if you like ?
Tim
Hi Tim

One way of solving this is to solder the outside of the bush with a thickish layer of molten solder.  As long as the gap is not too big!

Cheers

Howard
Thanks Howard it may come to this.