The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Number plate letter/number sizes?
I am sure this has been asked before but what should be the size of number plate letters and numbers for a 1932/33 Seven  The 'stencil firms' seem to offer both 3" and 3.5" tall... My existing (pressed ali, later replacement) digits measure 3.25". Be grateful for guidance. Thanks.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Hello
Have you seen the Cornwall club page Old Style Number Plates
Adrian
Thanks, I’ll have a look!
Hi

My 27th edition of the Motor Manual dates from the late 1920's and gives the sizes in the "Motorist and the Law" section. The same sizes are quoted in a later edition from the 1950's.

Letter height 3 1/2 inches
Letter stroke width 5/8 inch
Letter width 2 1/2 inches (except for figure 1)
Space between letters 1/2 inch
Space between letters and numbers 1 1/2 inches
Space between letters/numbers and top or bottom of plate 1/2 inch minimum
Space between letters /numbers and side of plate 1 inch minimum
Hi

I believe the current font is ‘Charles Wright’ (no relation  Smile)

However if printed as ‘bold’ at 275 point (on Macbook pages word processor) it approximates to the period font. I traced and hand painted my plates using a cream paint.

.jpeg   IMG_0600.jpeg (Size: 141.25 KB / Downloads: 187)

Cheers

Howard
There is no specific font that is 'correct'. The letters had to be a consistent width, but for example the nine could be very 'square' like Howard's plate or much more rounded with a simple 'tail'.
Back in the 30's a font was something babies were baptised in... many registration plates were hand-painted. 

I used a stencil from 'classic transfers' for mine and was very pleased with the result & their service.

As for size, a friend of mine has a plate with slightly undersize characters and it has not attracted a single comment in a good 4 decades of motoring.
Thanks everyone. You've all confirmed which way I'll be going.
(17-05-2023, 09:05 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Back in the 30's a font was something babies were baptised in... many registration plates were hand-painted. 

I used a stencil from 'classic transfers' for mine and was very pleased with the result & their service.

As for size, a friend of mine has a plate with slightly undersize characters and it has not attracted a single comment in a good 4 decades of motoring.

'Font', or sometimes 'fount', has been a printing term for style of lettering since the seventeenth century.
(18-05-2023, 08:20 AM)Mike Costigan Wrote:
(17-05-2023, 09:05 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Back in the 30's a font was something babies were baptised in... many registration plates were hand-painted. 

'Font', or sometimes 'fount', has been a printing term for style of lettering since the seventeenth century.

Undoubtedly so Mike, but I wonder how often members of the general public used the word? I think it has only drifted into common parlance since we all acquired keyboards.