The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Compression tester help
I have recently acquired what appears to be a very nice 'Snap On' compression tester. Sadly, it lack plug hole adapters. As you can see from the photo, it has a conventional high pressure connector. Does anyone have a source for something suitable (2 actually, 14mm and 18mm) that would suit? Alternatively, any suggestions as to other solutions with different forms of fitting solutions?

Could you use a couple of sparking plug bodies with the porcelain knocked out and a suitable union brazed (soft soldered ?) to take the thread in the photo
Hugh  The thread on the hose fitting is likely to be the industry standard !/4" BSP , which is compatable with PCL fittings. It may be possible to tap a 'butchered' 14 or 18mm spark plug to take the thread directly (although I haven't looked). On the other hand you could thread  the modified plug and fit a PCL male airline fitting which would plug into the female  already attached to the hose.
N.B. the DIN fittings on most LIDL kit fortunately use the same 1/4" BSP thread.
Good luck
Bob
Hugh,

I have the same tester in the garage, iam sure it is a rubber cone that you push into the plug hole - i will try get you a photo.

There will be a local snap on rep to you, ask your friendly local garage for info - they probably have an account and parts can be sourced.

similar to whats on the end of this - https://www.ebay.com/itm/175589714508
Hugh,
I think yours may have started life looking like this; a tester that I bought from the local Snap-On rep several decades ago.

[Image: 52903346074_1982a452d4_k.jpg]

Wouldn't be difficult to make quick release adapters for 14 or 18mm plugs as others have said. The threads on the tester are rather more likely to be NPS or NPT rather than BSP if you need to start swapping ends over.
I much prefer screw in ones to push on rubber cones.
Easier to use single handed
Thanks all thus far. What I have found in the other bits and pieces is the attached. Having dug a bit, it would seem this is the standard fitting for the tester. They also do a similar on for an 18mm fitting, I can get a second hand one on Ebay US for a tenner and can get it here ok with my 'connections', but not soon enough..

In the meantime, I have been lent this component that has come from a Silverline kit which gets me out of trouble... Unfortunately they dont seem to be available as an individual component, only part of the kit...

There is also something like this, that coould be an option to use along with the 14mm adapter I have...

.jpg   adapter.jpg (Size: 26.7 KB / Downloads: 168)
Hugh if you need something in the short term I'm fairly sure I have a working tester you could borrow.
Walk to machine mart round the corner and buy one of their cheap kits and use the bits in the kit. They come with threaded adaptors and the plungers which should fit the gauge you have. You can always take what you have they are quite good at letting you try out stuff