The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering tube lever removal
I'd like to swap some stub axles on a special... but need to remove the steering tube levers as the ones fitted are dropped sports ones and I need standard ones.

Looking at a loose one in the garage, there is a slight depression (like a very shallow cotter pin). Does this mean I need to remove the king pin bush to get the steering tube lever out?
If you mean BM 91 & BM 92      then undo the nut and they should just tap out.
It's important when refitting them that you maintain the verticality of the hole in the arm for the steering rod bush. If you don't they will stiffen when you turn. Unfortunately there is nothing to stop the steering arms from rotating when you tighten things up, just something to be aware of.
Thanks both... it was this lever that caused me concern, but a friend outside of the forum said the dimple was likely to have been filed.

Ah that lever was at some time was in the stub axle when the king pin bush was fitted, there is a foul between the bush and lever and it is usual to fit the bush then file it to clear the lever.