The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helicoil problem
Hello, re oil sealing. A Dowty washer use in hydraulics would be a good way of stopping the oil leak.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
Thank you all for the suggestions and thank you for your kind offer Kevin. It certainly sounds as though removal is perfectly possible. I must admit I'm nervous about the thought of fitting a replacement for fear of damaging the thread in the camshaft bush when I break the tang off the new insert. The limited access is a complication too.

Initially I'm going to go with Howard's suggestion of making up a stepped washer and put it all back together with a bit of Loctite. If the Helicoil does unwind any further at least I''l have more to get hold of next time!
Plan A didn't go so well. Turned up a fancy washer, big enough in diameter to span the damage to the surface of the crankcase and with a recess to take to protruding Helicoil. Cut down a bolt to the correct length - several trial fittings to make absolutely sure it was as long as possible without bearing down on the camshaft, then on the last fitting it came out with the Helicoil wrapped around it!

New Helicoils on order along with a fitting handle which I will cut up and extend to clear the block. Rad coming out tomorrow. All good fun I suppose.
(15-05-2023, 10:15 PM)Peter Naulls Wrote: Plan A didn't go so well. Turned up a fancy washer, big enough in diameter to span the damage to the surface of the crankcase and with a recess to take to protruding Helicoil. Cut down a bolt to the correct length - several trial fittings to make absolutely sure it was as long as possible without bearing down on the camshaft, then on the last fitting it came out with the Helicoil wrapped around it!

New Helicoils on order along with a fitting handle which I will cut up and extend to clear the block. Rad coming out tomorrow. All good fun I suppose.

Hi Peter

Oh dear, Sorry, looks like it was a bad idea.

Apologies

Howard
No need Howard, it was worth a try.

Peter.
I have pulled out quite a few over the years. Get a pair of good paralellel pliers, grip the end and bend it into the hole a bit. Once you can get a better purchase on it just wind it out. As you twist it pulls away from the thread as it comes out so little chance of damage.
New Helicoil fitted with a bit of threadlock and I managed to clean out the thread in the cam bush to get a slightly longer and more secure bolt in place. The thread in the crankcase isn't great but it's the best I can do with the block in place and should hopefully delay the need for a "proper" repair. I took the opportunity to re-seal the top water branch too.

Spent the rest of the day fitting a new battery in my modern after it died very suddenly. Had to drill out the securing bolt and also search for blown fuses after the failure.

A full stable of working cars again ... and my wife can stop rolling her eyes!