The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silver solder query for oil and fuel lines
I have purchased some nipples and nuts and a length of 3/16 tubing... now I seem to remember reading on the forum that plumber's solder isn't the stuff to use on fuel lines... but there are lots of grades of silver solder. Can someone please advise me of the grade best suited to making up fuel lines and an oil pressure gauge line?

Many thanks, and an apology if tis is already answered ad nausea on the forum... I searched and found lots, but nothing that answered my question.
In my ignorance I have always used "standard" resin-cored soft solder off the reel, with a dab of flux just to help things along.

I have never experienced any problems, even with the much maligned E10.
Rick

In deepest Norfolk
I use Silverflow 55 as that's the only type/grade stocked by the supplier I use. Cadmium free these days but I've not noticed any difference from when it wasn't. You'll also need an appropriate flux.

Steve
I won't bore you with anecdotes but suffice to say the oil pressure gauge line is important to get right! I tried to do mine with plumber's solder and it subsequently failed, not sure if that was the solder or simply my ineptitude.
Almost any of the silver solders would be OK, the higher the silver content, the lower the heat to melt it (630C - 780C). The higher the silver content, the higher the price. You will need a silver solder flux.
Just be careful to apply enough heat and not so much as to melt the brass "nipple" or other fitting and of course do not try to do it in situ and set fire to the car.
However as others have said, there are plenty of cars going around with soft soldered joints - the secret to a good joint is clean the surfaces with an abrasive paper / wire wool, use flux and the right amount of heat to make the solder flow.

Ps: 3/16 tube is a bit small ??
Good point and thank you. 3/16" is for the oil pressure pipe, but I also plan to use the silver solder for the fuel lines at a later date, where the choice is likely to be more critical.
AFAIK, The factory used silver solder on both fuel and oil lines throughout, the only failures I have seen have been with soft soldered joints. If you use Silver Flow 55 filler, The solder runs just as the joint is getting some colour, so below proper red heat. Easy Flo flux is the one to use on copper and brass, Tenacity 5 flux (AKA HT5) for steel joints & stainless steel.