The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
4 Speed Remote - Reverse Mod
Question 
Hi peeps,

I was scrolling social media the other day and came across this:

https://www.facebook.com/590726008/video...595259351/

One of the comments says the following:

" On a repro there are two ways,shorten the selector rod that enters the selectors in the box so you don’t have to lift it up ,or the proper way deepen the reverse selector slot in the box to enable the full length/depth Elton’s rod to swing across the 3 gates if that makes sense."

I'm not sure I understand how either of these allow the engagement of reverse; could someone help explain please?

Kind regards,
David 
I don't understand the description either. The one shown in the film has a "block" arrangement which is lifted by the knob to allow you to select reverse. It doesn't do anything to the gearbox it just stops you selecting reverse until you lift it. The other gear select as normal but are reversed in position forward to back.
The one show in the film has a different front (g/box) casting to the one I have on my car. The oil filler is in a different place. The other thing to bear in mind is that the rear facing starter with not fit. Either a ham slicer or forward facing starter is necessary.
The reverse gate slot isn’t as deep as the other 2 ,that’s why you have to lift the lever up to engage reverse.
That’s why some remotes have a pivot point to allow the selector bar to lift up and engage reverse.
With the Eltos If you do the bodge way the selector rod is slightly shorter which will swing into the reverse selector but is then not fully engaged in the forward gear selectors.
A proper way is to deepen the slot in the reverse selector in the box so the full length Eltos rod fully engages in the gates.
Eltos remotes are not easy to set up right,I’ve found there’s usually not enough forward / back travel to engage the gears fully but certainly the 3 speed one when right gives a great gear change.
Several people have made these remotes,me included,the 4 speeds JB did had a larger gate arrangement than that pictured.The detent? For stopping accidental reverse engagement varied too.
It is possible to use a 4 speed box with a rear starter with a different scalloped gear box top.
Think I've posted this on here before, but this has been working for some years on a couple of remotes I've reworked...
[Image: 52669129358_502b09b6ce_k.jpg]
The gearbox is unmodified, but grinding the lever as shown gives the usual gate restriction, but when you give the lever a firm smack to the right, the 45 degree ramp will jump up into the reverse gate.
Thanks for the responses, very insightful.

I think what was throwing me was to engage reverse you lift the gearstick and then follow the same motion as selecting 4th I thought reverse was 'above' 4th.
Sounds like reverse is actually 1 more rove over from 3rd/4th, is that right?

Cheers,
David
(05-05-2023, 09:21 AM)worthidlj Wrote: Thanks for the responses, very insightful.

I think what was throwing me was to engage reverse you lift the gearstick and then follow the same motion as selecting 4th I thought reverse was 'above' 4th.
Sounds like reverse is actually 1 more rove over from 3rd/4th, is that right?

Cheers,
David

Yes