The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Front hub castle nut
Hello all. Can anybody please tell me the size and thread for the castle nut which holds the front hub to the stub axle. I have purchased an axle nut from the Seven Workshop but it is much to big.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
5/8" x 16tpi - same as the half shaft and radius arm nuts. Austin's famous one off thread sometimes called an 'Admiralty Thread'. When you say that you've got a nut that's too big, do you mean in overall size? If so, sounds like you've been sent a half shaft nut or a radius arm nut rather than a front hub nut. Same thread, different overall sizes.

Steve
Thanks Steve, yes the nut is too big in overall size. It will not fit into the front hub recess (The part of the hub that has the hole to enable the fitting of the split pin which is also threaded to take the ally end cap.

John Mason.
It is quite a bit smaller. Takes a 7/16" W spanner?
On the left is a later type Half Shaft Nut, on the right, a Front Hub Nut (that's seen better days).

Radius Arm Nut (which I suspect is what you have). All three have the same thread.

Another option is the earlier type Half Shaft Nut but to photograph that would require some dismantling.

Steve
Earlier type of halfshaft nut (BO19):

.jpg   BO19.jpg (Size: 40.96 KB / Downloads: 214)
Thank you all. I see David Cochrane has the front hub nut in stock. I will be contacting him today.

John Mason.
(05-05-2023, 09:18 AM)John Mason Wrote: Thank you all. I see David Cochrane has the front hub nut in stock. I will be contacting him today.

John Mason.

Posted today John - you should get it tomorrow...
Speaking of castellated nuts I'm in desperate need of a single 5/16" Whit. for the drive coupling on my BSA. The club spares scheme does them but only as part of a full set of 12 bolt/nuts/double washers/split pins.(nor cheap as I only need one nut) I must have left a split pin out when I assembled them originally, stupid boy!
I can't find any on eBay or other online seller. Anyone out there know of a supplier?