The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
‘32-34 Radiator cap seal?
A simple query. Please see photo of a ‘winged’ rad cap which does not seem to comply with usual ‘Maltese Cross’ fitting. Does anyone recognise this type and more importantly know where replacement seals might be obtained. Many thanks for any info/opinions.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
I think it's simply lost its "Maltese cross" Bob. There are two types, a proper-looking casting and a less substantial one from thin sheet steel. I have been told in the past that the latter is in fact the original pattern.

As for sealing - I await answers with eager interest, as I've never managed to seal any A7 radiator cap effectively!
If you can find an O-ring with a suitable dimeter that should work. The original was a flat rubber ring, and the clip, as Chris suggests, was a pressed steel fitting.
I cut a ring out of some rubbery plasticky stuff, about 8mm thick, which squishes down to almost nothing.

I think it once was a camping sleeping mat.
The cap looks as if it has been drilled to take a Calometer at some time. David Cochrane does a complete replacement cap.
(27-04-2023, 08:36 AM)David Stepney Wrote: The cap looks as if it has been drilled to take a Calometer at some time. David Cochrane does a complete replacement cap.

I'm not quite sure what's going on there David - it looks a bit too small for a Calormeter, and if it was it would emerge right through the middle of the "wing" on top. It may just be a hole for the centre post of the fixing. Of course we can't see the top of the cap here. I suspect it may be an older repro part as it doesn't quite look "right". But as others have said, spanky new ones are available from A7 Components, Seven Workshop and perhaps others, as well as tatty but complete original ones in autojumbles. I suggest the work needed to get this one up and running might be better spent elsewhere.
Different temp gauges and calormeters, different size holes. So get another one, but keep that one on a shelf just in case. The vertical temp gauge does rise vertically between the wings, Freudian analysis thereof can wait until another time.

There are variations in the winged rad caps.
The one on the left, inscribed "Westwoods Patent 43016-" with the pressed steel four twisted leaf clover I believe is the original 1932 Austin fitment (it was on my Oct 1932 car when I bought it in 1965); I believe the other two are later, possibly official Austin issue 1933/34 or after market replacements.  
Note the much heavier casting with much deeper front lip on the Westwood example.
I believe that the pressed steel clip was actually stainless; I have never seen rust on this component.
Great pictures, Mike. 
Oh for a UK version of the superb Google Patents. The  "https://worldwide.espacenet.com/advancedSearch?locale=en_EP " we have is really difficult for older entries.
Google on the other hand: https://patents.google.com/?q=(radiator+...iator+caps