The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exhaust manifold gasket
Hi I need to change the manifold exhaust gasket on my Ruby 1938,  Is it possible without removing the down pipe connection? allowing enough space to lift over the manifold studs thanks Smile
Unlikely I would say? Perhaps, if lower exhaust fixings and space allow you to wriggle the whole thing sideways 2" or more. 
But do take care not to side-load/ bend the already feeble manifold studs as you may end up with bigger problems.
tbh depending how long it's been undisturbed those manifolds can be a complete b*gger to remove and you may do better to be unhindered by the downpipe.
Thanks Chris I guess I will try to take the downpipe off before.  It seems as if the exhaust manifold been off in the last 5 years or so hoping it will not be too stuck as you say cheers! Smile
I think that the exhaust front pipe will move enough when the front flange joint is dismantled to allow the manifold to be removed. If not, loosening the pipe joint at the front of the silencer should do the trick. The main problem is usually rust on one or more of the manifold studs. If that is a problem tapping a small bolster or two into the gasket joint is far better than using a screwdriver near the ends of the manifold. If any studs are loose or come out during dismantling it is a good idea to refit with thread sealant into the block, so that water does not creep through and cause rust between the stud and the manifold. I have used stainless steel studs which are less prone to getting stuck with rust.
Definitely disconnect the down pipe from the manifold, it shouldn’t be stuck. You’ll struggle otherwise I think.
Many thanks for all your advice Smile