The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RP Windscreen Hinge Fixings
Is someone able to tell me please, what sort of screws were originally used to fix the RP windscreen hinge to the body under the peak of the roof?

I had kind of assumed they would be countersunk, but on closer inspection the hinge is not, and there seems ample space for perhaps a round head.

The holes in my hinge are 3/16" dia so I'm inclining towards a No.10 round head slotted woodscrew, would be nice to confirm though. Failing that anecdotal evidence or "yes I've got round headed screws" would be a fair substitute.

Thanks...
I use round head 2BA set screws because the wood in the peak was rotten and has been replaced by 1.5" X 0.25" steel strip suitably drilled and tapped.
(23-04-2023, 09:51 AM)Dave Mann Wrote: I use round head 2BA set screws because the wood in the peak was rotten and has been replaced by 1.5" X 0.25" steel strip suitably drilled and tapped.

Not a bad idea Dave. I have fresh timber in mine as I've just replaced it, so it's good and solid (and will probably see me out, as they say).

Sounds like a vote for round heads though...
Just been to have a look at how the windscreen hinge is fitted to my own RP, given that it is reasonably original. Whatever was there originally has been replaced by brass countersunk screws which, because there are no countersinks in the hinge to take the heads, stand proud slightly. I suspect, therefore that originally the screws were dome headed. There is certainly enough clearance.
(23-04-2023, 02:30 PM)David Stepney Wrote: Just been to have a look at how the windscreen hinge is fitted to my own RP, given that it is reasonably original. Whatever was there originally has been replaced by brass countersunk screws which, because there are no countersinks in the hinge to take the heads, stand proud slightly. I suspect, therefore that originally the screws were dome headed. There is certainly enough clearance.

Thanks for your input David. Yes, my thinking exactly.
I have always used pan headed screwdriver slotted long self tappers for both the RN and RP type windscreen frames. It gives a really secure fixing with large head coverage over the screen hinge. You can then drive with the screen open with impunity.
(23-04-2023, 09:22 PM)Robert Foreman Wrote: I have always used pan headed screwdriver slotted long self tappers for both the RN and RP type windscreen frames. It gives a really secure fixing with large head coverage over the screen hinge. You can then drive with the screen open with impunity.

Yes, screen-open driving is a must. I like the idea of a full length thread Robert, even with new timber the holes aren't that deep.
When Austin's built the RN saloon the windscreen peak wood was installed before the roof was fitted and with the RN roof drains you ca't install a new piece of wood for the full length of the peak so it had to be steel strip. 
.jpeg   Windscreen peak drain.jpeg (Size: 24.65 KB / Downloads: 88)
I like to use stainless steel self tappers into wood, giving a long threaded grip and no problem with rust seizing things up should dismantling ever be required.