The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which Gasket Sealant?
Part of the reason for my original query was that I'm about to change the rear main seal plate for one incorporating a modern lip seal and also adding a seal to the input shaft of my late 3-speed gearbox and I'm desperate to avoid further leaks.

In both cases the gaskets have a reasonably wide contact area so would you recommend using a sealant here in addition to the gasket or would it be better to lightly grease them as per AustinWood's suggestion.

I've also just realised that the rear bearing for the camshaft is behind the flywheel so presumably this may be another possible source of the oil leak I have which causes oil to drip from the bellhousing drain hole.   As I will be taking the flywheel off to fit the new rear main seal plate is it worth undoing the camshaft rear bearing and fitting a new gasket or does this risk creating problems?   Annoyingly I didn't think to order a spare gasket for this when I was getting the other parts together.