The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering box oil
Hello all, Can somebody please advise me on what grade of oil is required for a Mk1 Ruby steering box. I believe it has a high number 150 or 180.
Thanks in anticipation.

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I use 250 sae steering box oil,better than grease. In my RP.
I use SAE 140, the same oil I use in the rear axle.
I’m with David on this one, SAE140 for me, never had an issue.
I use SAE 250 oil in my cars, seems a bit less prone to leaking than the 140
We use Penrite Steering Box oil.
Jim
Thank everybody I have some SAE 250 on order.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
I've only ever used ordinary grease, infrequently at that, and not found any problems.
The only problem when using grease is that the steering box worm , when turned one way,acts like an Archimedes screw sending the grease up the steering column, but cannot drag it down when turned the other way. The result is eventually grease gets to the top of the steering column and exudes from between the column and the steering wheel, with disastrous results to one's clothing.
(20-04-2023, 09:53 PM)David Stepney Wrote: The only problem when using grease is that the steering box worm , when turned one way,acts like an Archimedes screw sending the grease up the steering column, but cannot drag it down when turned the other way. The result is eventually grease gets to the top of the steering column and exudes from between the column and the steering wheel, with disastrous results to one's clothing.

It does David. I would refer you to my earlier comments about infrequent maintenance! A little goes a long way.