The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another disturbing noise from Ruby
I once had a Neval 2 stroke motorbike and the engine would run backwards. When at tickover waiting for the lights to go green if the tickover was too slow it would almost stop, then go backwards. Releasing the clutch lever was rather interesting,,, which way will it try to send me.
Look up "Waggon wheel effect".
I wonder if once someone puts an idea in your head, how likely you are to believe it?
I am sure as Ruairigh says it turning the correct way.
Yup, once the hook was baited I bit, think it could also be desperation in looking for a solution.
Will probably take the clutch apart and investigate first, seems most people think the problem is associated there, then take the top head off to check the bores, and then……. if any other ideas spring to mind……
Hi Dennis

Do you have a stethoscope?  If not I would invest in one.  The one I have has a probe that can be placed in tight spaces.  It is amazing what you can pick up even cranking the engine by hand.

Cheers

Howard
Dennis we are all desperate for you to find a solution
It is with reservation that I will make this comment just in case.
I have been trying to think of what could be heard when started but not heard when rotated by hand.
I therefore submit could the distributor bob weighs be the problem.
Sorry I know this is very unlikely
Tim
Could it be the dynamo end bearing?
Have you checked that the centre rear sump bolt isn't too long andcatching the front of the flywheel ?
When I acquired our second RN the starter wasn't connected to the enormous battery behind the passenger seat because the cable wasn't long enough to reach it but the engine started easily on the handle. I eventually purchased a battery which would fit in the battery box and connected the starter up on operating the starter it spun the engine over but it wouldn't start. I got out opened the bonnet and found everything OK and swung started the engine and back in the car I stopped the engine and tried the starter with no joy but I spotted the fan was going the wrong way. So I can state Seven engines do not run backwards.
Dave that’s most reassuring, as I could not believe I had done anything in putting her back together for this to happen.
I have not stripped the clutch to date but could not resist putting a feeler gauge all around the gap between the flywheel and crankcase and I cannot detect anything contacting the flywheel. Visually checked from above the and cannot see anything that is in contact on the front face of the flywheel.