The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Austin handbook and diary
Some years ago I was given an Austin diary, rather a nice addition to my collection of literature. Does anyone know how they were issued? Did every new owner get one or were they a dealer initiative?

Mine is dated 1936. If anyone has a 1937 issue in similar condition (i.e. with page 1 left blank) I would be interested in buying or swapping.

Peter,
I have a few of these, one still in it's boxed wrapping, dated 1939
Issued through the Austin Magazine, N.P. Bank Chambers, Montpelier Road, Cheltenham. ( N.P. I assume is National Provincial)
Two 1 1/2 pence stamps are affixed and it was sent to a Mr. W.L.Beeley, 8 Granby Road, Firth Park, Sheffield. 5.
He's entered his car reg as: FS 7332, but obviously I've no idea what type of Austin it was.
One entry only, suggesting he worked at F Beeley's.
Do any Sheffield people recognise the name?

Looking at it more closely there are several interesting items in it.

People were even London " centric " in '39. Mileages to principle tourist resorts from London are listed. I was amazed to see Derby listed but not my home city of Nottingham!
There an interesting advert to visit the Longbridge to " See Them Made " Write to the Reception Officer at PO Box 41, Longbridge. Tours take two hours, two a day at 10.am and 2 pm daily.
The Austin Owner's Club was a Mr Maurice Davies of Worcester.
Hints on touring on the Continent - I bet they didn't do much of that in late '39! 
French Phrases for the Motorist - L'allumage est derangé  etc. etc.

...and lots more info.
Very interesting Chris, one can't help wondering what happened to the recipient of the 1939 book.

There is a lot of information in there, sales info, dealership ads and in the diary, a whole host of saints' days and other notable dates that mean little these days. I would very much like to go to Longbridge and "see them made"!
We have a couple in the Archive - though they aren't candidates for digitisation. I recall one of them was clearly owned by a travelling salesman who religiously recorded all his mileages and expenses for each week. That made intersting reading. Though it contains no details of his patch or his wares..

As far as visiting Longbridge, that was something that seems to have been encouraged and our collection of Austin Brochures contains a couple that are related to the tours. This one from 10927, for instance...

https://www.archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/...BR_599.pdf
An excellent publication Hugh. Thanks for posting it.
See also my articles on the Factory and Visits in the Association Magazine 2021D, page 13 and following.