The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disaster!
(09-04-2023, 11:04 AM)Parazine Wrote: Update:

Managed to get the spare dynamo to work, miracles do happen but it's in a generally poor state. Fitted to the car but needs the wick turning down as it's generating 14A at the moment - a bit too much.

A request thread in the "Wanted" section, can anyone help with DFL parts??

They’re mostly pretty fragile. They weren’t made from the highest quality alloy, but it is weldable. 
I ended up machining a replacement from bar. Takes a bit of time though. 

C
Pulled the dizzy out of the Ruby and found that Ruairidh was spot on with his diagnosis. The gear is well and truly knacktired...

Question: This was a newly refurb'd unit done by someone with great experience, who I know and trust. It has only done a hundred or so miles. The dynamo gear is original and in good shape - and I have run other distributors on it without a failure like this. Why would a near-new distributor gear get into this state so quickly?

I understand that some distributor gears available recently have been made out of chocolate. Could this be one of them?

Steve
(09-04-2023, 01:50 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I understand that some distributor gears available recently have been made out of chocolate. Could this be one of them?

Steve

This - there have been a number of failures like this in the recent past with new spares of certain provenance.
The gear on your distributor has not been hardened properly, Nick.

I can see that it not the type I linked to above from the 7Workshop, I use these extensively and can testify they are hardened correctly and fit for purpose.
I put a file to the gear and it is soft as butter. Useless.
I've had 2 similar failures Nick (4 or 5 years ago) one after 100 miles the other caught just in time after 12 miles. The well respected reconditioning "expert" who supplied them assured me he had never had one fail before. I have my suspicions that he has a very large box of them, all unhardened.
I have had 2 DFL end castings welded successfully. The tricky bit is making sure that everything is aligned correctly.
(08-04-2023, 06:46 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: Bad luck David. I blame Putin...

Surely its Brexit Nick - everything else is!!!
A la Monty Python: Putin. And Brexit. Putin and Brexit. And Cameron. Putin, Brexit, and Cameron. And Johnson. Putin, Brexit, Cameron, and Johnson...