The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Disaster!
(16-04-2023, 08:09 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: A la Monty Python: Putin. And Brexit. Putin and Brexit. And Cameron. Putin, Brexit, and Cameron. And Johnson. Putin, Brexit, Cameron, and Johnson...

Ah, yes. The Spanish Inquisition sketch. " Well, I didn't expect a Spanish inquisition!" " Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!"
Spot the duff one...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

I remember years ago Andy Hastings checked over an engine for me and the time came to put it on his test bed.   When I arrived at his garage he looked puzzled and said he couldn't understand why the engine wouldn't run.   He had put a distributor on the engine that was in good condition.   It transpired that the drive gear on the distributor was at fault, not because it was made out of chocolate, rather it had one tooth more than standard!
Similar looking gears exist for the coil conversions on Austin 12 Taxis. They have a different number of teeth, don’t ask how I know this…
Hi All

We had to cut short our Drive it Day run yesterday as the Brookfields just wasn’t running as it should. It was clearly a timing issue with occasional missing and some lack of control on advance and retard. Back home I decided to investigate and on removing the distributor I found that the drive gear was loose on the shaft.  The pin was holding it in place but there was distinct movement both rotationally and up and down the shaft. The gears were well greased so I’m at a loss as to how the drive gear has worked loose.

By the way I could have effected a repair on the roadside as I always carry a spare distributor, ready gapped. However it was hailing and raining and a limp home was preferred!

Cheers

Howard
Similar looking gears exist for the coil conversions on Austin 12 Taxis. They have a different number of teeth, don’t ask how I know this….

I had this bloke in the back of my taxi once, and he says, What you need is a coil conversion mate. Why, I’ve got a couple ere in this bag. Tell you what, you drop me of at St Enochs, and I’ll give you one instead of the fare.