The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Too low on the rear axle...? Asking for help.
Hello friends!

I do have again a question. 

My Chummy is sitting a little bit too low on the rear axle. It's looking good, but while driving on bad roads the tires use to rub at the wings, even when I'm driving alone. Driving with passengers is impossible.

So, what can I do to raise the back of the car a bit? Is it necessary to remove and tension the rear leaf springs? Or is there a simpler solution? Any ideas?

Thank you very much in advance!

Oliver

Yes, the rear springs have insufficient camber. Unfortunately, there's no shortcut to the problem; the springs could be retempered or new ones of exactly the correct pattern obtained from dunford1@aol.com To set the car up correctly, it might be an idea to fit a new front spring as well.
Thank you Tony!

So the springs have to come out, I was afraid.  Dodgy Is there anything special to consider when expanding? Or just jack it up, loosen the screws, take it out? Do markings need to be made for reinstallation?

Quite a difference... Exclamation

.jpg   1+train.jpg (Size: 71.35 KB / Downloads: 375)
The chances are that the springs will be well and truly stuck in the chassis. The best advise it seems, is to slacken the securing bolts through the chassis and the  "u" bolts and drive a couple of miles over some rough roads to crack the hold of the rust. Once slight movement is achieved, then the springs will come out, although a long steel drift from the front of the chassis will probably be required to  
extract them. Ian Dunford may be able to advise further, talk to him about the correct springs.
Ian has now retired completely - the spring business is now run under the same name (Vintage Austin Services), by his daughter in law, Tanya.

She has the correct springs for your car in stock and can be contacted on vintageaustinservices@aol.com

I think you met her at the Centenary, when we camped near you, Oliver.
Didn't realize Ian had finally backed off , he has kept many a Seven owner on the road over the years. Glad to see the business is still in the family. Hope he is enjoying the down time.
I replaced the rear springs on my Box saloon last year, some of the fixings offered resistance but it was done in an afternoon. I have tried re-setting old springs in the past and found they soon sag again - the Dunford product was a huge improvement & gets my recommendation.
(08-04-2023, 12:49 PM)Peter Clayton Wrote: Didn't realize Ian had finally backed off , he has kept many a Seven owner on the road over the years. Glad to see the business is still in the family. Hope he is enjoying the down time.

Thank you Peter.

Here is Ian and Jen, with their younger granddaughters today…

Hi Oliver
The Dunford spring solution is the best. 
Your car will sit beautifully after you have changed them.
The driving on the road will be a treat.
Do it right, do the lot - I would ask if you you can have the bushes fitted and reamed ready to fit.
You can change the lot in a day - not as difficult as you may think.
lovely to see them Rory, and happy birthday young man Smile