The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Original - or an modification?
Hi All

What is rather strange is on Tony’s original posting the louvres only fill the rear 3/4 of the panel.  

There is no room for the bonnet catch?  Tony I hope you don’t mind me asking if this is not your expert photoshopping in play?

Cheers

Howard
(05-04-2023, 10:45 AM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: From a Facebook post, a mid-1930 Chummy - but with bonnet sides with louvres. I've never seen one like that before - probably an owner's modification?

It's DS 8715 

Car number B 7394, chassis number 104622.  Early February 1930
Are the lourves original, Henry?
(09-04-2023, 10:33 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: Are the lourves original, Henry?

I suspect not.

It looks to me to be a cut down RM, RN or RP side panel.

B-7394

B9-5160
That is exactly what I thought, too.
I will see what I can find. The car is sold now, but I have lots of pictures of the restoration. ...not sure if I took many of the bonnet, it was one of the few bits of body that did not need a lot of work!
David
(09-04-2023, 06:17 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Looking at the pics (and it's only an observation) but I see three different model/variant cars:

The first photo with the loco shows a long scuttle car with side vents (not the bonnet louvres) with short bonnet
The Green car is a short scuttle car with side vents (as above) with long bonnet
The latter red car is a short scuttle car with no side vents and the long bonnet

Hi Reckers,
Correct. The car with loco is an AE (with the seldom-found short bonnet with louvres); the car surrounded by people an AF and the green car an AG
My long-bonnet red car, PL2002, never had side vents fitted. I believe it to be a very early example - another clue being, that it had originally (now missing) on each side of the scuttle, a strip of "half-round" aluminium pinned on to continue the line of the bonnet's side hinges. Perhaps the "no-vents" specification might have been a "depression special" or possibly a "Friday afternoon" job....
The green car is an AF stamped and confirmed by the records at Gaydon. Terry.
[/quote]

Hi Reckers,
Correct. The car with loco is an AE (with the seldom-found short bonnet with louvres);
[/quote]

I am intrigued by this short bonnet with louvres, which I think is a later addition.

The first of the short scuttle cars had long bonnets with no louvres, then separately stamped louvres, like your AF Tony, then one piece stamping.

The AE in the opening photo of this thread has the last incarnation of the louvre styling, yet is older than all the other types that followed.

If factory fitted, how is that possible?

Genuinely interested.
(09-04-2023, 06:17 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Looking at the pics (and it's only an observation) but I see three different model/variant cars:

The first photo with the loco shows a long scuttle car with side vents (not the bonnet louvres) with short bonnet
The Green car is a short scuttle car with side vents (as above) with long bonnet
The latter red car is a short scuttle car with no side vents and the long bonnet

I thought Louvres were this:

.jpg   Louvered Panel.jpg (Size: 134.33 KB / Downloads: 108)  

and Side Vents were this:

.jpg   Side Vent.JPG (Size: 21.53 KB / Downloads: 108)

But I am not an expert so could be wrong   Smile

(05-04-2023, 11:15 AM)Steve Jones Wrote: I know of three similar mid/late 1930 cars with bonnet louvres, all original. One not seen for many years but the other two are around and about.

Steve

Given the discussion so far are you sure of this ?

I have never seen a louvered short bonnet in Melbourne (no great confirmation of anything) and the early Long bonnet cars apparently did not have louvres ??