The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pressure relief ball
Sorry about the thread drift... I did try to retain the topic of physics, which relates to the OP... 

At university I was put in the remedial English for Engineers class... now I earn a crust by writing. It's a funny old world. 

I have two engines to rebuild in my garage currently. At least I won't struggle to get the oil relief valve balls out!
(06-04-2023, 05:34 PM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Sorry about the thread drift... I did try to retain the topic of physics, which relates to the OP... 

At university I was put in the remedial English for Engineers class... now I earn a crust by writing. It's a funny old world. 

I have two engines to rebuild in my garage currently. At least I won't struggle to get the oil relief valve balls out!

Shout at them in Latin? Big Grin
In the 1990s my father resigned his membership from the VSCC because he felt the Club had become too elitist.

The reply from the Sec. came in the form of an A4 letter written entirely in Latin.

It remains a treasured item in the family archive.
In my first year at Grammar School in 1962 I did latin. It's my only claim to fame in my time there that I became the first pupil in the school's c300 history to drop latin after one year. My latin master, 'Nero' Milne, wrote in my end of year report 'Stephen likes latin. Regretfully, latin does not like him - 13%'.

Sixty odd years later, no pupil there drops Latin at the end of their first year. They don't teach it any more.

Steve
I think if some clever arse from the VSCC wrote to me in Latin, I would serious consider a reply in Anglo-Saxon vernacular, together with a suggestion that he/she/it/them reads Proverbs 11, 2.
So recent Latin might read: post 1930 saloons from Longbridge interdictum est. Swallow Dorettis et TR2s salvete.
I think the Latin reply from the VSCC is excellent! We had Latin at school...90% of ecclesiastical, so I ditched the French, Spanish and German and the Latin has proved invaluable, particularly when reading menus in posh restaurants....ahem!

To return to English..... engine out, relief valve ball & spring replaced, and whilst accessible oil pump vanes checked, engine back in. All piping attached, being  magneto engine virtually no wiring required. Having filled the sump, filled oil gallery before firing up. This is the displayed oil pressure for a new engine. I know that as a point and squirt lubrication system this does not indicate no oil being fed at pressure into bearings, but how seriously should this low pressure be taken? Or should I just leap into it an see what it sounds like and how it behaves on the road. The gauge is a new one, and has a greater range than the gauge in the Ruby, but this will probably still be an accurate reading.
Try a gauge that you know works.

Also, what did you check on the vanes?
I’d be happy with that oil pressure, in fact I’d already be five miles down the road!