The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby engine fault
Hi guys

My cousin is working on a ruby 1937 for a friend. He had it running well. Then the next day fired it up and it was terrible. On investigation the valves were all varnished and sticking.   He de coked and replaced all the valve springs. Noting there was a bit of play in the pistons.   After this it was running like a sewing machine. So he returned it.(10mins drive). The owner started it up. Drove 10 meters and it conked out. 

The valves are all varnished again and sticking. 

Any idea what would cause this ?

Sugar in the oil!!??
We are thinking contaminated oil. Maybe its previous owner put an additive in to help with the blowing piston rings?????
Perhaps STP additive or its equivalent? This is renowned for making engine oil thicker, improving performance, increasing HP, reducing tyre wear, heightened connubial relations, revitalising knackered engines, silencing shot big ends and anything else that the snake-oil salesman can come up with.
Sugar in the petrol tank used to be the standard way of stopping a vehicle - so my Dad said.

As a prank, revenge for an insult, or wartime sabotage.

Would that have this effect?
As an insurance adjuster and auto damage appraiser of 34 years, the only damage sugar in the gas tank will do is to plug up the inline filter. You can checkout yourself that sugar does not dissolve in gasoline. Put some sugar in  a glass and pour gasoline over it. Nothing will happen.  Old wives tale.
(02-04-2023, 06:28 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Perhaps STP additive or its equivalent? This is renowned for making engine oil thicker, improving performance, increasing HP, reducing tyre wear, heightened connubial relations, revitalising knackered engines, silencing shot big ends and anything else that the snake-oil salesman can come up with.

Wasn't the main claim that it made you more attractive to the opposite sex in addition to "heightened connubial relations"? A tin on the shelf was to guarantee success - apparently. Only for external use, of course.
In my day STP was an acronym for 'Stop Teenage Pregnancies'. I could not possibly comment on its efficacy.
Was STP not primarily advertised for use in Indy Turbine cars? Sevens have been famous for their prowess at Monthlery, but not so far recorded at Indianapolis. (No oooh matron comments in that note.)