The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - April 2023
This splendid shot of Arthur Waite and Alf Depper during the 1924 Swiss Grand Prix was submitted by Robin Boyce:

Wonderful picture!
Waite, running in the 1100 cc class against only four other cars, found himself leading with only a few miles to go when the clutch failed. The only other car running by this time was a Collette - Anzani, Collette driving with his wife as mechanic. She suffered an eye injury caused by a flying stone and so Collette pulled in. Waite immediately instructed Depper to accompany Collette as his riding mechanic which allowed him to win. Collette could have been disqualified in him changing his passenger but, being more gentlemanly in those days, no protest was raised.
Question - did one car constitute a motor race?
One finisher certainly qualifies  Big Grin
I thought someone might have queried whether there was a ridding mechanic in the GE; so just to verify, here we can see (just!) Alf's head - how he got that low in the car goodness knows!

.jpg   1924 Swiss GP 5.JPG (Size: 44.72 KB / Downloads: 173)
I expect that the ride was not much fun for the mechanic in that position. I hope that Waite rewarded him well.
Alf was a tiny bloke, but that would have been a squeeze