The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Paint Spraying
I have sprayed in the past, useing two pack, landed myself with a trip to hospital with isocyanate poisoning and a week jaundice making me look like Homer Simpson!! The car turned out well tho, and still looks good 15 years on!

A very good quality mask is a requirement regardless of the paint type.

I have also used Brushing Coach paint from Craftmaster, and if you take your time and prep well, the finish is just as good as a spray [you can also spray it]
Second that John
I’ll second what Stuart has said regarding two pack, I rig up a rudimentary extraction system, but most importantly, use an air fed respirator, together with the correct filters.

However, you need a hefty compressor to supply the respirator and a professional spray gun.
(30-03-2023, 12:24 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I’ll second what Stuart has said regarding two pack, I rig up a rudimentary extraction system, but most importantly, use an air fed respirator, together with the correct filters.

However, you need a hefty compressor to supply the respirator and a professional spray gun.

My paint supplier would not sell me two pack paint unless I confirmed that I had an air fed mask!

Cheers

Howard
That’s fair enough, though I do sneak out for a trundle on my Velocette without a helmet, just to relive the old days when I didn’t have to wear one...does that make me a rebel without a cause?
Just remember, Ivor... the are old bikers and there are brave bikers but there aren't many old, brave bikers.
Something which has so far been omitted is humidity. I rely on a hygrometer. This cheap devise is useful because if you apply paint when there is more than 50% humidity there is a risk of micro blisters that will spoil your paint a few weeks later.

Another thing to remember is that no matter what size your compressor, the air that reaches the gun must be dry. Air as it comes out of the compressor is hot and wet so a good coalescing filter is essential as it will not only remove vapour but also oil aerosols and other micro contaminants.

Hope this helps.
(30-03-2023, 08:39 PM)Ray White Wrote: Something which has so far been omitted is humidity.  I rely on a hygrometer.  This cheap devise is useful because if you apply paint when there is more than 50% humidity there is a risk of micro blisters that will spoil your paint a few weeks later.

Another thing to remember is that no matter what size your compressor, the air that reaches the gun must be dry.  Air as it comes out of the compressor is hot and wet so a good coalescing filter is essential as it will not only remove vapour but also oil aerosols and other micro contaminants.

Hope this helps.

50% humidity is very low. I've sprayed cellulose in winter foggy conditions and never had micro blisters. Also never had a coalescing filter.

No doubt drier is better, but I've never had those problems.
37% humidity today and no wind.  Ideal spraying weather. 

Just saying. Wink