The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Average speed report from 1936
Have you not tried driving at 20? I have tried and I now often drive my modern car at about 22 on the speedo. Get used to it and you don't need to look at the speedo much. And the traffic behind doesn't seem to mind.

As for fuel consumption and pollution, driving at 20 means a lot less acceleration. With today's traffic lights etc we often have to stop again and again, so it's not just driving at a steady 30 or 20. Not speeding up beyond 20 is likely to save fuel, or am I wrong.
Seeing as most of France is currently at a standstill due to the unions blocking the refineries in protest at Macron's extension of the retirement age to 64 instead of 62 (and it won't happen until 2030 just to put things in perspective) I popped out to see if I could top up the Mem'Sahib's Peugeot 107 with a dose of E10, but no luck. Everywhere seems to be dry hereabouts, but whatever, there's plenty of fuel in the other cars.

With this in mind I went down to the garage just to check, and took a piccy of the on board computer in the Rekkers Uber Barge, my aged but perfectly serviceable 2001 Mercedes - Benz E Class (W210) 220 CDi saloon. I'm OK - it's got more than half a tank of diesel which will probably take it further than any battery car on the planet without a re-charge. (it has an 80 litre tank)

The on board shows that over the last  3850 miles travelled (6197km), the old girl has averaged 55.3mpg (5,1litres/100km) at an average speed of 47mph (75kph). Surprising, because like Steve most of the mileage done in the old bus is on the motorway, usually on cruise at 120kph. Interesting all the same. Not bad for something built like a King Tiger Mark V that's been to the moon and back (300,000km) - Not counting the Mem'Sahib's shopping trolley this is my newest car...)

[Image: 20230321-130831.jpg]
(21-03-2023, 01:27 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Seeing as most of France is currently at a standstill due to the unions blocking the refineries in protest at Macron's extension of the retirement age to 64 instead of 62 (and it won't happen until 2030 just to put things in perspective) I popped out to see if I could top up the Mem'Sahib's Peugeot 107 with a dose of E10, but no luck. Everywhere seems to be dry hereabouts, but whatever, there's plenty of fuel in the other cars.

With this in mind I went down to the garage just to check, and took a piccy of the on board computer in the Rekkers Uber Barge, my aged but perfectly serviceable 2001 Mercedes - Benz E Class (W210) 220 CDi saloon. I'm OK - it's got more than half a tank of diesel which will probably take it further than any battery car on the planet without a re-charge. (it has an 80 litre tank)

The on board shows that over the last  3850 miles travelled (6197km), the old girl has averaged 55.3mpg (5,1litres/100km) at an average speed of 47mph (75kph). Surprising, because like Steve most of the mileage done in the old bus is on the motorway, usually on cruise at 120kph. Interesting all the same. Not bad for something built like a King Tiger Mark V that's been to the moon and back (300,000km) - Not counting the Mem'Sahib's shopping trolley this is my newest car...)

[Image: 20230321-130831.jpg]

Putting it politely I think the French are mad !

Retirement age in Australia is 67 and has been for some years   Huh