The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petrol gauge problem
Getting close to putting my Ruby on the road.
So trying to remove the tank sender to get the gauge working.
The small screws holding the sender to the tank are proving very difficult 
Cleaned out the groves and soaked in penetrating oil but no go
Wonder whether to try a little heat by the way of hair dryer but still have half a tank of fuel ?
May have to bite the bullet and drill out and re thread ?
Advice / thoughts much appreciated 
Regards
            Tim
If you can get to the screw heads easily you could try heating the heads with a soldering iron, not a tiny electronics one but something with a larger bit which will hold some heat say 40 or 80W. Of course it would be easier with the tank empty and on the bench...
If the slots are not too damaged:

Freezing spray and penetrating oil, then, after a while,

heat and penetrating oil - not WD 40 - acetone and Diesel mix is good.

File a screwdriver blade to fit the screws as precisely as you can.

Turn them bacwards and forwards, but without a serious amount of force, for maybe a minute or two each.

Then try hard to see if they turn.

If not, drill just the heads off.   This leaves little studs that you may be able to freeze/heat better, and turn with mole grips.

Better with the tank off, but even with the tank off, emptied and washed out, do not use any sort of flame to heat the studs.
Many thanks gents for the quick replies.
Love the soldering idea !
I am not familiar with freezing spray could you enlighten?
Regards
Tim
Plumbers use it to isolate water pipes to save draining a system before carrying out a repair. Your local plumbers' merchant should stock it.
When you do manage to get them out (I have confidence!) be sure to use Copperslip grease on re-assembly
A hammer helps too. First tap each screw with a small hammer. Then with the screwdriver in the slot, and applying some anti-clockwise force, tap the end of the screwdriver. After doing this for a while go back to just turning the screwdriver. If any screws are still sticking then do the same again trying to tighten each screw, then trying to undo again.
Thanks again.
Just a note on the thread sizes they look similar to the door catch cover securing ?
Just had some fun with these I am thinking perhaps the same solution would work.
That is tapping 1.3 mm and using electrical screws ?
Hi Tiger

The size of these tank sender screws has been discussed (at length !) on this forum before.

If you drill and tap it doesn't really matter what size you choose. Electrical screws are M 3.5 which is very similar to 4BA.
Thanks John
Update on the tank screws
4 out
1 broken (top sheared off)
1 still stuck
Size of screw thread 4 mm
Possibly 4 BA ??
I will look at the past posts for help on the size