The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something different - kisses on a postcard
Just finished listening to this... very enjoyable even if the theater isn't my thing...

https://kissesonapostcard.com/

This intensely moving musical by Terence Frisby tells the story of two boys in WWII. In 1940, to escape German bombing, Terry and Jack, aged seven and eleven are evacuated from their family in south-east London to a tiny village in Cornwall, where they spend the next four years.

Different times.....

Cheers Matt
I'm not a huge fan of musicals but it looks interesting, thanks for sharing.

I guess many of us here have a related family story to share. My mother was evacuated from Balham after the notorious raid in which an HE bomb penetrated the underground station where people were taking shelter, and a double decker bus went into the resulting crater. She was astonished to meet kids from Tooting on the same transport who had never seen a cow before and didn't know where milk came from. As the headmaster's daughter, she was last in line when children were allocated to host families, and drew a rather short straw - it was not an experience she remembered fondly. Hard to imagine now, but she was only moved out as far as Guildford (I forget the precise location). Through all of this she never felt scared, it was only when the V1's started coming over - she slept in a cupboard under the stairs and claimed the pulse jets made her candle flicker and she didn't like it. And all of this but one generation ago. We should none of us ever take peaceful coexistence for granted.
Chris KC.

Indeed we should not. I remember being at boarding school as a five year old when we were roused from our sleep, and carrying our blankets and pillow spent the night in underground shelters - or most of it I suspect, 'til the All Clear - listening rather terrified to the bombing raid nearby on Abingdon. It may have been on R.A.F Benson, but not a lot of fun.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish