The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Speedi-Sleeve Part No?
Hi,

As it looks like I'm going to have to take my engine out to resolve a low oil pressure problem I'm thinking I will also fit one of the lip seal, rear main retaining plates at the same time.

It seems sensible to fit a speedi-sleeve to the flywheel boss at the same time but I've found conflicting information on the correct part number.

There seem to be three options people claim to have used, the SKF Part Numbers being 99186, 99187 or 99188.   The dimensions of these from the SKF website are:

Removable flange outside diameter2.188 in
Seal seat width0.889 in
Shaft diameter1.868 in
Shaft diameter, maximum1.872 in
Shaft diameter, minimum1.866 in

Removable flange outside diameter2.203 in
Seal seat width0.563 in
Shaft diameter1.875 in
Shaft diameter, maximum1.878 in
Shaft diameter, minimum1.872 in

Removable flange outside diameter2.203 in
Seal seat width0.295 in
Shaft diameter1.875 in
Shaft diameter, maximum1.878 in
Shaft diameter, minimum1.872 in

I suspect the correct version is 99187 as the 99188 has a very short seal seat width.

Before I order one does anyone have a definitive answer as to which is correct.

I don't really want to wait until I have the flywheel off before ordering unless there's no alternative,

John.
Always used 99187.

Steve
Why not just pop the sump off and check Oil Pump Vanes ???
& pressure relief valve ??????
Several sizes of rear main flanges exist, I would check the size you have before ordering.

I have been caught out with this…
I must admit I haven't tried yet but I was under the impression it was very difficult to access the pressure relief valve with the engine in-situ.

Having struggled to stop leaks from the sump joint (now silicone) I was also a little reluctant to take the sump off if it's not necessary.

Replacing the rear main oil seal does need doing but could wait until much better weather if I can resolve the low oil pressure issue.

John.
I don't think the flywheel boss diameter is critical on the original set up.
The only way to be sure is to dismantle and order the correct size. I've always had very quick delivery.
Jim
I will say that I've only ever used a speedi sleeve on a 1 5/16" type flywheel that doesn't have the integral ring gear i.e. 1930/31. Those that I've used have always had the same size boss and 99187 has been the one. However, the advice to measure the boss has to be the correct advice so as to be sure.

Steve
Without wish to state the obvious, the different size boss also requires a different lip seal.
(11-03-2023, 05:20 PM)Bluebird7 Wrote: Why not just pop the sump off and check Oil Pump Vanes ???
& pressure relief valve ??????

If all else fails to provide an answer you could check that the gear on top of pump spindle has not sheared it’s tiny key and is rotating freely — happened to me back in early sixties while touring the west country. That was an engine out at the roadside job. Remember camping by the river near Shrewsbury for a few days while took the block off etc. got mild dysentery from drinking the river water without boiling it — rivers were polluted in them days too.
No wonder people hark back to the good old days, Charles! Wink