The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Correct Grade of Petrol
Hells Bells Ruairidh - you could eat your dinner off that!!!!

Yes I will stick to SAE30 I think.

As for petrol - I think I will stick to 98 E5 when I can get it, but not be too woried about other grades when I need them.
OK Ruairidh how did you clean that crankcase? I have a nice sound crankcase which some idiot sandblasted and then left.
Send it up to me, I will happily clean it for you, Dave.  If I know is it is coming, you’ll get it back in a few days.

Happy to do this kind of work for anyone interested.

Some before and after a from the last couple of weeks…

Thanks for all the replies, particularly that from Fencepost early in the threads. Such a lot to digest as well as unexpected info on lubrication. 
Regards 
Graham Barker
Thanks Ruairidh, having lost some items in the post recently I'd prefer somewhere closer that I can deliver to.
No problem, Dave.

I have been using a no nonsense Degreaser from screwfix 2 parts water to 1 part degreaser. In a plastic tub soaked overnight. Works for me using rubber gloves goggles and water proof overalls.
No Nonsense Degreaser is amazing stuff. As well as doing all the things you'd expect it to do, spray it neat on your dirty/muddy wire wheels. Leave for 10 minutes or so, hose off. Result, clean wires. I couldn't get my head around the fact that it's water based when I first bought some but it works so why bother Big Grin 

Steve
One interesting thing to be aware of with petrol, at least in New Zealand, is they use different petrol blends between Summer and Winter. In NZ there are actually 3 regions and the fuel is blended specifically for the region and season. It's all set out in legislation here. No idea how much difference it makes in an engine, I think it's more to do with transporting/storing it.

My old MG mechanic told me he used to retune his SUs every Summer/Winter.

Simon