The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lincolnshire and East Anglia
...and a bit of excitement here today when fighter jets were scrambled from Coningsby to intercept an unidentified aircraft in UK airspace. They were instructed to go supersonic so we had the " bang ", shaking the house. It's many years since I'd heard one of these.
If there was a 'like' button, please have one.
(04-03-2023, 09:52 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: ...and a bit of excitement here today when fighter jets were scrambled from Coningsby to intercept an unidentified aircraft in UK airspace. They were instructed to go supersonic so we had the " bang ", shaking the house. It's many years since I'd heard one of these.

I heard that here in Dunchurch (just south of Rugby) at 12:11. I was working in the office (a shed in the garden) and it sounded like the cat had jumped on the roof, but MUCH louder!
I was conducting an event in Bicester and at a critical moment in the proceedings, boom! We that that our stamping around in the old building had brought the ceiling below us down...
(04-03-2023, 09:52 PM)Chris Garner Wrote: ...and a bit of excitement here today when fighter jets were scrambled from Coningsby to intercept an unidentified aircraft in UK airspace. They were instructed to go supersonic so we had the " bang ", shaking the house. It's many years since I'd heard one of these.

The report I read said Typhoons had been scrambled in order to "offer assistance" to a civilian aircraft :0)
I understand it was heading towards London with no comms.
I was going to suggest if you got to North Lincolnshire that a visit to the English Heritage run Thornton Abbey was worth a go -

https://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visi...gatehouse/

BUT I see that it is currently closed for maintenance

There is not much left of what was once one of the biggest and grandest Abbeys in the UK. Still interesting though. The brick built Gatehouse is superb, complete with what is left of its 14th century gates. It is big enough to wander around inside.

Well recommended when its OPEN.

My better half was brought up 10 miles from it and never knew it existed as it was hidden from the rainway line by trees and not open to the public back in those ancient times!!
Dave, I'm not sure whether you plan to drift so far East, but when we pine for the seaside Southwold is the nearest place within reach and it makes quite a pleasant day. In the past we have stayed nearby in the Stables at Henham, very agreeable B&B and safely off-road if you're in a Seven. There's a lovely A7 in the Ford showrooms in Southwold, and I never tire of Tim Hunkin's amusements on the pier.

Of course you could head for Cromer instead, and stop by to see Jamie at Seven Workshop.

On my to-do list for this year (thus I hesitate to recommend) is the Gordon Boswell Romany Museum at Spalding - a collection of old-school gypsy caravans and the like - opens after Easter.
If you head to Cambridgeshire as well as our local attractions in Cambridge you have Ely and Newmarket. The roads from Newmarket across Suffolkare some of the quietest and pleasent roads you can drive on. Newmarket to Clare then across to Long melford then Lavenham then head to the coast. You can always head back to Norfolk as well. The coast road is fun and have driven some of it last year Ely to Hunstanton, watch the sun come up then round and back for a late breakfast. In the other vintage car not the 7 though as it is a little quicker