The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lucas PLC 6 Question
Hi -- I just bought a new Ignition switch a PLC6 . I have a wiring diagram and my question is about the ignition warning light . One wire goes to IG but where does the other lead go . The diagram I have shows it going to D but that is not in the new switch. The new switch only has  A , L , T , H and IG. One additional question what is the side indication on the switch. I assume the H is the headlight bulb . Is the side the L on the switch the second small bulb in the headlight.  Thanks again for all the help.
Hi Gregg

The original switch was a PLC2, which controlled ignition, lighting and dynamo charge rate.  The PLC6 is a simpler version which just controls ignition and lighting. 

You can either set the charging at a fixed rate or rig up a completely separate switch somewhere to give a choice of High or Low rates, but that's a separate question.

Wire up the PLC6 as follows:

A is the input, and comes from the Ammeter
IG is the ignition output, to the coil and accessory fuse etc
T is the Tail lights and Side lights output. It is also live when HEAD is selected, so suitable for separate sidelights.
L is an output that is only live in the SIDE position, and goes off (to save power) when HEAD is selected. It is used when the Sidelights are small bulbs within the Headlights.
H is the Headlights output

The ignition warning lamp has one side taken to IG, and the other side taken to the +D connection on the Cutout (The one that connects to the main output of the Dynamo).

In times past in the UK it was quite common to drive after dark in street-lit towns with only sidelights, to "save the battery".  A few people still do !
Hi John-- Thanks for the info. I am in the US and you guys are a great help. One remaining question is I am putting in a Dynamator so there wont be a cutout . Where would the warning light end seeing that there is no cutout.  Everything else you did a great job of explaining . Thanks again Gregg