The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
AH tourer - Chummy or not?
Be interested to hear people’s views as to whether an AH tourer is ‘classified’ as.a ‘Chummy’ or not? Discuss.
I have always thought of mine as a LWB Chummy, more tongue-in-cheek than for any other reason. Being 6’2” and a bit decrepit I couldn’t fit into a SWB Seven, hence buying the AH.
The  reason for asking is that the Austin Brochure 930 (?) for September 1932 actually describes The Four Seat Tourer as just that.
Personally I am not bothered, but I am curious as I’ve not heard the AH referred to in that way before.
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
The term 'chummy' was a generic name given to any close-coupled four-seat tourer, and was used in the 1920s to describe a wide variety of makes of car - indeed Morris actually used it as an official name for one of their models. I don't think the term is appropriate for the long-wheelbase Seven which, in its day, was considered a full four-seater.
It is definitely a LWB Chummy (no dickey seat), so long as that isn't anachronistic or an oxymoron?
Hi Bob

I think you’ve answered your own post by not being bothered.

Similar arguments have raged about Top Hats (is an RK a top hat?) and even Ulsters.

I think owners should refer to their cars as they wish.  If it causes the purists to shake their heads then so be it.

As Grey Mag editor I look forward to a mountain of “letters to the editor” decrying my views.

Cheers

Howard
I ran our AH tourer for fifteen years in the nineties and noughties, it was always referred to as "The Tourer", having a completely different feel and driving experience to a Chummy.
The AH is really, as Mike points out, a proper 4-seater. The short-wheelbase AF (mid-1930 onwards) and AG have rather more width than the previous models - and hence are more suited to today's more heavily built (fat) people - but I still regard them as being of the "proper" Chummy type.
A lot of people consider that a Chummy has the smaller doors and a Tourer has the larger square doors.
(21-02-2023, 08:52 PM)David Cochrane Wrote: A lot of people consider that a Chummy has the smaller doors and a Tourer has the larger square doors.
That. David, is an excellent point - a clear decider.