The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Centre cam roller bearing fitting
I had a quick go last night just as I was running out of time but are there any tips for fitting the rollers into the housing. I tried the grease and also an elastic band. I will check I have the right parts and a careful measure up as its a new camshaft but any other tips appreciated.
I have always just used grease - never had an issue.

This is Daisy doing it on her engine, just using grease.

Personaly I have never had any problem with an elastic band. I geuss a small cable tie might also do the job.
(20-02-2023, 07:13 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I have always just used grease - never had an issue.

This is Daisy doing it on her engine, just using grease.

Clearly the cold weather in Scotland makes the grease work better!

c
Clearly! Big Grin
Elastic band works every time.
I'm with Robert, but I use grease as well so that the rollers start well lubricated!
Elastic bands, me. The ones they tie up spring onions with in Sainsbury’s work just right.
Alan Fairless
Elastic band fitted with a crocodile clip to make sure that it's tight. It's also worth increasing the 'lead' i.e. put/increase the radius on the inner of the bearing track where it faces the front of the motor. This won't have any effect on the part of the track which the rollers run on, but does stop the rollers 'baulking/hanging up' when your trying to push the cam in.
25 or so years ago I was given an old, half full, can of Shell Nerita Grease 3. It's very, very thick, almost the consistancy of a wax, and I don't know what it would have been used for other than it's perfect for holding cam rollers in place. Have used it for that ever since and it never fails. You don't need much so the half can will see me out Smile 

Steve